Saturday, January 2, 2010

Quiche And Fatty – Real Men’s Breakfast

We had a real nice 8 day visit with our family from Korea and they are back there now after a 23 hour door-to-door trip that began yesterday at O-dark-thirty, as our military son often says. As long as the trip is, I think it's amazing that we can go half way round the world in less than a day - compare that to 100 years ago. Since their daughter, Alex, is spending this year with us, there were lots of seperation tears at the airport - they are due to come back to the states next summer after their 3 year tour of duty. Following is another meal we made for them.

Many years ago, Bev decided to try a quiche recipe that was advertised as a favorite of President Kennedy - we both loved it and have made it several times. Since our daughter-in-law has previously said she liked it, we made it for breakfast while they were here for the holidays. Bev got everything ready the day before so all I had to do was mix with the eggs and cream and bake it up. As I recall, it always takes longer than the recipe says.

It’s easy and delicious and I highly recommend it – here’s the recipe, but make sure you’re using a big pie crust – or have a couple of ramekins handy for the extra.

KENNEDY QUICHE
Makes 8 servings

2 tbsp Olive oil
1 ea Small onion chopped
1 ea Small green pepper chopped
2 cups Tomatoes, skinned, seeded and diced
1 ea Clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp Pimientos or roasted red pepper, chopped
¾ tsp Salt
¾ tsp Pepper
½ cup Smoked ham (about 2 ounces), finely diced
4 ea Eggs
1-1/2 cups Whipping cream
1 tbsp Fresh parsley, chopped
1 (10 inch) Partially baked pie shell or six 4” shells

· In large deep skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
· Add onion; cook for 3 minutes.
· Increase heat to medium high.
· Add green pepper; cook stirring often, for 2 minutes.
· Add tomatoes, garlic, pimentos, salt, & pepper and cook for 10 minutes, stirring ocassionally.
· Stir in ham.
· Remove from heat and cool completely.
· Mean while, whisk together eggs, and cream; stir in cooled tomato mixture.
· Pour into partially baked pie shell.
· Sprinkle with parsley.
· Bake in 425 degree oven for 10 minutes.
· Reduce heat to 350; bake for 20 minutes or until set but still jiggly.

I had posted awhile back about an Italian fatty I’d made and we decided to serve it with the quiche. Here’s a picture of the reheated fatty and my son’s plate.



Have a great day

Larry

5 comments:

  1. Both look great but the fatty is just amazing with the cheese and pepperoni oozing out. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. whipped cream in the quiche... well, why not... it sounds terrific (and I actually like quiche). I bookmarked the fatty, now I want to make it even more

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wasn't actually whipped cream, but rather whipping or heavy cream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, Larry and Bev, this quiche (Kennedy favorite) sounds wonderful! Cream and garlic included....yum-MO! I'm printing this big daddy to make! Thanks for directing me to it! I think that between you and me our spouses, that breakfast is a highly anticipated meal! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! You're right, I'd love this Kennedy Quiche. The Italian fatty looks mighty tasty too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments