Sunday, January 3, 2010

Fried Crappie - Last Meal Of The Decade


And the last meal on our list for the family visitors from Korea. They headed back to the other side of the world early Jan 1. I’d probably just shoot myself if I had to start the new year with a 15 hour flight from Atlanta to Seoul – after getting up at 4am, driving to the airport and the flight from Knoxville to Atlanta. But I digress, the meal was fried crappie supplied by our fishing friends, Mexican cornbread, and slaw. The fish were beer battered and deep fried - I’ve posted a few times about our crappie cooking and at least once about the cornbread, but this time I’ll supply the recipe. It’s by far our favorite cornbread in part because all the stuff in it helps it stay moist. It came from a friend of ours but I don’t know where she got it.

MEXICAN CORNBREAD
Makes 12” skillet full

2 cup Self rising corn meal
3 lg Eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup Vegetable oil
1 sml Onion, finely chopped
1 sml Green pepper, finely chopped
1 cup Cheese, shredded
1 cup Buttermilk
½ tsp Baking soda
1 ea Jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 cup Whole kernel corn, drained

1. Preheat oven to 400F and warm greased cast iron skillet.
2. Mix together meal, eggs, oil, soda, and buttermilk.
3. Stir in other ingredients.
4. Bake until top is browned and toothpick pulls out cleanly.

You can of course make it hotter by how you prep the jalapeno and by adding more.

It's a balmy 14 degrees here in East Tennessee - Have a great day.

Larry

2 comments:

  1. It is cold out!

    I might have to steal this recipe for this week! It sounds great and more from scratch than our mexican corn bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you'll be happy if you try it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments