Saturday, October 23, 2010

My Last Day In Marco

Daughter Wende had been house and dog sitting for us while we laid around in Marco, but she had to make a business trip Monday night. Since there was a low cost direct flight from Ft. Myers to Knoxville, I decided to just fly home to relieve her - I was beached-out by then anyway. Bev had been wanting to try stone crabs, whose season just opened on Oct 15, and we wanted to eat at one of our regular stops – The Old Marco Lodge, so that was the dinner choice for my final evening. I’d been getting some sunsets, so here’s a couple of late afternoon shots as we headed out to dinner.

The restaurant is right on the water down in Goodland (among the 10,000 Islands) and has some nice scenery – here’s a couple of pre-dinner shots - Bev left, her sister Pat right.

They’ve added a band area since last year and provide live music on Fri, Sat, and Sun afternoon and they were still playing while we ate - that's Pat's back on the far right.

Bev had the stone crabs, which I forgot a shot of, and since it was my last meal there, I opted for the broiled seafood platter – haven’t had one in years as they are usually fried.

Mine was all pretty good, but we both decided the stone crabs were over hyped and with a very mild flavor – king crab remains our favorite.

If you’ve been reading about the whole trip, you’ll not be surprised that I decided to stop by Hoot’s for lunch on our way to the airport. I forgot my camera, but had a tilapia sandwich, which came on a large round bun with a much larger piece of fish protruding all around it. It was a delicious end to my Marco meals for this trip.

I’m a worrier when it comes to flying – had to many bad experiences I guess – so I try to allow plenty of time to get to the airport and did so for the flight home. When I booked the flight, it said it was from Ft. Myers to Knoxville, but I showed up at the Ft. Myers airport to discover that Allegiant actually flew out of the Charlotte County Airport about 30 miles north – crap says I. Fortunately I was already checked in, had my boarding pass, and was going to be at the original airport 1 ½ hours early and therefore had time to drive up the road to the right place – which I didn’t even know existed. Just another high anxiety flying experience to increase my reluctance to do it.

But I got home safe and sound to the ecstatic welcome of the puppies.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.



  1. I'm so glad y'all had a good time in Marco. I probably would have said more than crap if I had arrived at the wrong airport.

  2. I have thoroughly enjoyed your trip!

  3. Sounds like you had a great trip! Have to love those airports and the surprises they throw you. Bet your pups are really happy now!

  4. I'm glad you made it back okay. Helps having the right airport;) Seriously though, it has been fun reading about your trip.

  5. I am just like you, I'm always at the airport a couple of hours before I need to be. Time always goes by fast when you have a book and always good people watching. What did they put on the tilipia sandwich? Tarter? Sounds really good.

  6. LA - Tarter sauce came on the side and I added it.

  7. Sounds like you had a super time Larry! I just had one of those high anxiety trips - a canceled flight that led to me being in 3 different airports in a straight 24 hour period plus a little extra time without a bit of sleep! It was a nightmare.

  8. What a fun vacation - glad you made it home safe and sound despite the airport snafu. Flying can be such a hassle sometimes!

  9. Larry, Nice scenery photos! Nothing like airport anxiety is there?! I've flown hundreds of thousands of miles...but getting to the airport and/or the airplane on time is still a tense time for me. I've also gone to the wrong airport in error...Chicago & Houston. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave


I appreciate and enjoy your comments