Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Lets Eat Some Seafood On Day 1 In Marco

After breakfast and a walk on the beach, the ladies headed for the pool and I opted for the condo balcony in the morning shade. After getting their fill of poolside sunning, they got cleaned up and we headed off to our favorite seafood place for a late lunch. But being a sports bar, it was packed on Sunday afternoon, as I feared it would be. So we drove on down the road to the Snook Inn, which is a place we’d been wanting to try – things worked out perfectly. The restaurant is right on the waterway entering the marina and in the original part of town – Old Marco.  Marco Island was originally settled in 1870 by W.T. Collier and not really developed until the 60’s when brothers Elliott, Robert, and Frank Mackell bought nearly all of the land from the Collier estate for $7 million – a couple of nice homes cost this now. They laid out a great plan creating, via many canals, about the maximum number of lots on the water. I can only imagine how much money these guys made by developing Marco.

Anyway back to lunch – I took along my camera but forgot to take it into the restaurant. Check out their website for better shots than I would have taken anyway. I ordered an onion ring appetizer for the table, a dozen raw oysters for my meal with a beer and the ladies had coconut shrimp and fried grouper fingers. Surprisingly, raw oysters are available but not fried ones – same thing happened in Nawlins. The oysters were $13.99 for the dozen - wow – I remember when they went from 10 to 15 cents an oyster. I guess this is a classic example of supply and demand and if I lived here on clean water, I’d sure have my own oyster bed. But this is Marco Island after all and we were open air overlooking the water, so tip included lunch was $60 – wow again – it’s a nice place to visit, but I couldn’t afford to live here.

I like to eat the local fare, but we had to bring along a little East Tennessee for breakfast on day 2. We used frozen biscuits, but when you put some Bentons country ham, Cabot cheddar, and home grown tomatoes or an egg fried in the ham pan between them, they were outstanding.

Here’s this mornings breakfast view and now it’s time for the morning beach walk.

Have a good day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

9 comments:

  1. Gotta love inflation...gets you every time. Nonetheless, it's important to splurge at least ONCE on vacation and oysters sound like a great way to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can take the East Tennessee boy out of East Tennessee, but you can't take the East Tennessee out of the boy? Did I get that right? Great looking sandwich Larry. Looks like you're living high on the hog. Can't wait to hear more about this vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my idea of a vacation. Love the view from your balcony. Postcard pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you went to the Snook Inn. As I recall it's always been pricey. We love oysters on the half shell. Yum.

    The Mackell brothers were quite creative in making essentially mangroves into lots.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now, that's a breakfast biscuit. Looks mighty fine! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great time to be at Marco.... When we go to the beach in May, we LOVE to get fresh seafood.... SO--I know how excited you all are to eat it there.... YUM!!!!!!

    Have a wonderful time, Larry....
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great sounding vacation Larry-I'm behind on my reading but looks like you all are having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the name Snook Inn and love the idea of having my own oyster bed. Wouldn't that be perfect? Nice post, Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't tried the Benton's ham but I have had their bacon. It's pricey but I'd say one slice weighs twice as much as the store brands.

    Looks like you all had nice weather.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments