Monday, June 7, 2010

Leftover Sunday

After spending a day getting ready, and a day cooking and partying, and with plenty of stuff in the frig, we decided it would be leftovers for Sunday dinner. We still had brisket and pulled pork from Wednesdays BBQ day, and chicken and a few ribs from Saturday, so guess what we had Sunday. We also had some slaw that somehow didn’t make it into the party buffet line.

I considered reheating everything on the grill in foil pouches, but I couldn’t get motivated so we just nuked it. It’s terrible to get old and need a day to rest up from a day of serious laying around at the lake.

Everything was still very good, but I think I’m ready to turn the meat into totally different dishes to finish it up – I’m BBQed out for a few days – I think it will be something that swims tomorrow.

Yesterday I said I’d post the fruit pizza recipe and here it is (see Sundays post for pics of it).

Pizza
· 1 roll of Pillsbury Sugar Cookie Dough - Cut dough into thin slices and press into pizza pan (we used ??” pan). Bake according to package directions and let cool.
· 8 oz package of cream cheese and ½ cup sugar - beat together and spread over cooled cookie dough.
· 3 bananas sliced and dipped in lemon juice – to prevent turning brown.
· 1 pint fresh strawberries
· 5 oz can of pineapple tidbits, drained or fresh pineapple
· 1 kiwi fruit, peeled and sliced thin
· 1 can black sweet cherries (1 can blueberries may be used)
· 1 small bunch white seedless grapes


Glaze
· 1 cup sugar
· 3 Tbsp flour
· 1 cup water
· 1 cup orange juice

Cook until thick and allow to cool. Pour over fruit a little while before serving time.
Bev suggests you may want to use less glaze – maybe even half as much depending how sweet you like and how much natural fruit taste you want.

Bev’s dough was soft enough to press out in one piece without slicing and she used all fresh fruit and added some raspberries – add or delete fruits to suit your taste or what you have on hand.

I'm not sure why but I just had to finish off the day watching “Old Yeller” for the first time in probably 50 years – it’s still sad and I won't need to watch it again for another 50 years. It was a good ole movie but those were not the good ole days – all day spent working just to survive – not much time for laying around on the lake back then.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

8 comments:

  1. I can't watch Old Yeller. I cry. For days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to have a day of rest - especially after a party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the best things about throwing a big bash is having easy "pull out of the fridge" left-overs the next day. Thanks for this pizza recipe. Sounds really good and thanks also for the glaze tip. I'm one of those who don't like things overly sweet. I've not seen Old Yeller since I was a kid. We're currently renting and watching the mini series Centennial. It's been fun watching the state of Colorado develop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you all had a blast at the blog party. I sure wish I could've been there to enjoy the party. I heard about the bbq butter on Smokey Mountain Cafe and would very much like to know the recipe if you don't mind sharing it. Your drumsticks and ribs look so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Larry, Ole Yeller always made me cry!!!!! Great old movie....

    That fruit pizza dessert sounds fabulous....YUM!!!

    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you posted Bev's fruit pizza, I needed it in writing after the delicious champagne and wine no way could i remember the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never get tired of the old classics like Old Yeller! But I do get tired after throwing a big dinner and usually need at least one day to recuperate! I guess it's all part of "getting older"!Thanks for sharing the fruit pizza recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard of but never made this fruit pizza. I really have to make it a point to give it a try. Hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments