Thursday, May 6, 2010

Strawberry Pie Ala Shoney’s

When I was still working, we occasionally went to the nearby Shoney’s for lunch and after trying many of their offerings, I decided there were only two things I really liked – onion rings and strawberry pie. Thereafter, when we went there, I would order those two items as my lunch. I had them bring the pie immediately and ate half of it as an appetizer while I awaited the rings. I then ate the onion rings as my entrée and the other half the pie for dessert. I haven’t been to Shoney’s for at least a dozen years so have no idea if it’s changed but thanks to the miracle of the internet, I’m able to enjoy their pie (or a clone) at home. Bev asked me to see if I could find a recipe similar to theirs and so a search on “Shoney’s strawberry pie” turned up the following recipe. The one thing I would have changed at Shoney’s was their use of whole berries, so Bev halved hers lengthwise – gets more berries in the pie. Without a side by side taste test, I couldn’t say it tasted exactly like I remember, but I believe it was real close and Bev liked the simplicity of it.


It sure went down easy and we're having as many strawberry items as we can while they last, because as I've said before, I'm spoiled and refuse to eat the picked green, tasteless ones out of season.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

6 comments:

  1. I've never been to Shoneys but if I do go you can bet I'll order Strawberry Pie with a side of Onion Rings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe would really show off the flavor of the ripe berries. And I love your idea of lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next time pop over to my blog Larry! Seriously, there is one secret ingredient you are missing. ;) I have fond memories of that strawberry pie too. I also like to slice my strawberries - the pie is much easier to eat that way, and like you said, more strawberries! Make sure you freeze some of those strawberries.

    I can't believe it's almost the weekend! Hope you are having a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always loved the hot fudge sundae cake at Shoney's. Shoney's are hard to find now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made a strawberry pie (actually, four on the same day) last summer, when the kids went to the u-pick strawberry patch and brought home something like 15 pounds of berries. It was heavenly! You can find my recipe under pies on my blog, and see how it compares to Shoney's. My hubby used to eat their strawberry pie, too, but I try to hide from desserts, because they attack my butt, and nothing good can come of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for road testing this and sharing, Larry! I hope to have a good crop of strawberries if the sun ever comes out - I'll be looking for a recipe like this!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments