Saturday, June 30, 2012

Philosophy - The Universe

I've always been a fan of history and what could be more historic than how the universe got here.  As a result, I like to watch the shows dealing with this and recently saw one on the Science Channel.

If you believe in astronomy’s numbers and want to feel humbled, consider this (I think I did the math right) - there may be as many as 500 billion galaxies (many much bigger than our Milky Way) in the universe, 200 billion stars in the Milky Way Galaxy (all of which could have planets), and 7 billion humans on the earth.  If there were one planet in each star’s solar system with just one being, I would be one of 700,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 beings in the universe.  And if each of those planets had 7 billion beings rather than just one, the numbers would get pretty big.  Speaking of pretty big, the largest star discoved so far is a billion times larger than our sun - I watch this stuff while I blog J.

Something to think about the next time I find myself sweating the small stuff. .

All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

One year ago:  Gardening Thursday – Onions, Garlic, And Tomatoes

Two years ago:  BBQ Day Two

Larry

7 comments:

  1. But.. all of those 2 billions stars revolve around me. ha.

    And, I cannot imagine a star two billion times bigger than our sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, To me the Universe is so abstract that it's beyond my grasp. Since it means nothing to my day to day life and since I'll never experience anything beyond this planet, it's all about today and what's happening here on earth. Now if a meteor were to strike the earth, the universe would be very relevant in my daily life, if only for a very brief remaining moment! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. The numbers and figures are staggering. When I hear people talking about the size of the universe and how small and insignificant we really are, it overwhelms me. I just can't imagine anything that size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmmm, makes earth seem pretty insignificant, doesn't it? Love your header photo, Larry. Amazing shot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am aware each time I witness Mother Nature or look up into a sky full of stars....how very insignificant I am in the scheme of things.

    Cheers.
    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Was this written by Larry or one of Larry's infinite counterparts in infinite parallel universes?

    (Ever see that episode of the Universe? Made my head hurt!)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments