Friday, April 16, 2021

Florida Trip Day 5, East Point, FL

Day four began with a few errands for some basics then a meet up with some Tennessee Traveler friends at Lynn’s Quality Oysters for lunch.  Lynn’s gets great reviews even though they have no kitchen and do most of their cooking in microwaves.


We ate on the deck and had a great view of St George Sound as we ate and visited.


Since we ate a late breakfast (I thought our lunch was the next day), we didn’t order much for lunch.  Pat had a piece of key lime pie and Bev and I shared a dozen Captain Jacks Oysters – oysters, jalapeno, bacon, hot sauce, & cheddar cheese for $15.99.  They go great on a cracker.


I thought they were delicious but they were just okay for Bev - I will make me some when I get home and something else for the others.

One of the items on my to-do list for this trip is to take seafood back home so the previous day, I had bought a pint of shucked oysters ($22) and 1/2 lb. of shrimp at Lynn’s to see how they compared with others we might find.  So, for supper, I made the oysters into a version of Oysters Rockefeller for Bev and I and sauteed the shrimp in garlic butter for Pat.


Since I didn’t have the shells, I cooked the oysters in the toaster oven pan under the 500F broiler – kinda like a casserole.

We decided to have no sides so we could eat all of the seafood we wanted.  They were very good and a great way to use small oysters but I need to work on my recipe (such as baking a little prior to broiling) to get them into the great category – which I will do when I get home. 

It was a very nice day and fun to meet up with folks that we had not seen since Oct. 2019 – plus we ate very well.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

4/12/21 event dates


5 comments:

  1. I have a sudden craving for fresh oysters now. I'm so glad you are having a fun & tasty trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we are all going to appreciate our friends a little more now. What a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that looks so good never had oysters before always been worried about them but this would change my mind this looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, Laurie has been into fresh oysters ever since our trip to New Orleans about 4 years ago. Love eating at places like that...very casual with lots of fresh air and blue water! Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brings back great memories of when you taught us how to shuck oysters here at our house.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments