Monday, May 13, 2013

Crappie – It’s Not Just For Supper

HAPPY BELATED MOTHER'S DAY TO ALL YOU MOM'S OUT THERE

We had several small pieces of crappie (pronouned croppie around here) left from our meal the other night and surprisingly, Bev suggested we have them for breakfast – she never wants fish in the morning.  So I picked myself up off the floor and said “sounds good to me.”  We mixed up a 75/25 mix of cornmeal/flour for dredging after dusting with Sint Maarten Jerk Seasoning, which we've used on several things lately and really like.  It doesn't have the strong allspice flavor typical of most jerk seasoning.

Bev just ate the fish, but I added a couple of sunny-side-up, dippy eggs and a piece of sour dough toast to mine.  She also added some Sint Maarten hot sauce to her fish but I forgot to try it.

Pan fried fish is just darned hard to beat for any meal and this was an excellent way to start the day, providing me with protein, carbs, and a smile.

Photos best if enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

5/8/13 meal date

16 comments:

  1. Just goes to show you never know with us women :) Fish at breakfast always provides a smile at our house too.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great to me. Get ready for some shrimp and grits. I enjoyed your Palm Coast posts Larry. That's where our summer house is located. I go to the Flagler Beach Farmers Market every Friday when we are there. And I know just where Sea Colony is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol.. I love your last line about pan fried fish being so darned hard to beat... I couldn't agree more.. well except if you had a side of mac and cheese with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Larry, this post brought back memories of when I was little and went fishing with my father. He caught some fish and cooked them at a campsite for our breakfast. Hopefully this comment goes through as I haven't been able to lately...if it does your trip to Florida sounded terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yea...it went through!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a tasty looking breakfast - I haven't had fish for breakfast before. Love the new header photo Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading your post of jerk fried fish, I am inspired to go renew my fishing license.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can eat about anything for breakfast except for seafood ... but I have to admit, your plate of food looks really good. I love this new header shot. Great photo Larry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny post - glad you got up off the floor! We used to eat trout for breakfast while camping at Tellico - miss those days. Protein, carbs and a smile - a good day indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds like a great breakfast to me. Now I'm hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Larry... Any way I look at it, this is a GREAT breakfast! Crappie and eggs with toast...just add my Tabasco and I'm good to go... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not much of a fish person for breakfast either---but your breakfast --with the added eggs and toast--sounds delicious. I have said this a million times but you need to publish a cookbook with your ideas of Breakfast with Left-overs....

    Hope you are enjoying this gorgeous day.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pronounced the same way here:). This makes me miss my mom and my parents cottage in northern Wisconsin. We had many a "croppie" dinner there. Hope Bev had a great Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, the fish with the perfectly dippy eggs sounds wonderful. Nice presentation with the chives too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. now that jerk sounds all right by me... I don't suppose I will find it in my neighborhood stores...
    and yes, fish for breakfast is okay with me too, although I prefer fish n' grits, it just can't be beat - especially when it provides a smile, right?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments