Thursday, February 29, 2024

Steakhouse Steaks For the First Time & New Kitchen Lights

I can’t imagine how many steaks I’ve cooked in my lifetime and the vast, vast majority have been done on a charcoal or gas grill.  Only recently have I tried pan frying them and recently I cooked a beef tri-tip first in the oven then finishing in a pan on the cooktop (reverse sear method) .  While I’ve watched them cooked on TV many times by adding the crust in a hot pan then finishing in the oven, commonly called the Steakhouse Method, I don’t think I’ve ever used it.

Bev had recently purchased two choice strip steaks and they have been aging in the fridge for about a week and we decided this was the day to cook them.  I added some sauteed mushrooms because they needed to be used.

Steakhouse Steaks

Ingredients:

2 CAB strip steaks

S&P to taste

Montreal Steak Seasoning to taste (optional)

Peanut oil

Butter

5 mushrooms, thick sliced

Directions:

A couple of hours before cooking, remove the steaks from the fridge, trim & Jaccard them, season with salt, pepper, and Montreal.


Preheat oven to 400F.

Add oil to a pan and heat to almost smoking (I prefer a stainless pan with an aluminum wafer in the bottom as it heats much more evenly than cast iron).

Add the steaks to the pan and cook for two minutes.

Flip the steaks, add a pat of butter, insert a remote probe thermometer (alarm set at 125F) and put the pan in the oven.

When the 125F internal temperature (med. rare) is reached, remove from the oven, add the steaks to a warm plate, and cover with foil to rest for about 7 minutes.

While the steaks are resting, saute the mushrooms in butter.

Slice the steaks into ½“ thick pieces and top with mushrooms.

We served the steaks with the baked potato. 

The Verdict:

While I’ve seen it done on TV and in blog posts, I’ve never sliced up the steaks for service for fear the meat would cool to fast.  The steaks were, tender, moist and tasty but I overcooked them a little.  My thermometer said they were at 128F which should have still yielded a dark pink color but it obviously was not.  Next time, I'll go back to pulling at 120F.  I liked the cooking process and will use it again when it's too nasty out to grill but we all prefer the additional flavor that grilling provides.

Our kitchen ceiling is 15 or 16 feet high and we were down to just three working can lights so Karen (cleaning lady) and I decided it was time to tackle them plus remove a few years of dirty cobwebs from the upper walls and ceiling.  So, we got together a three foot wide floor dust mop, an eight foot step ladder and a 16 foot extension ladder for the job.  This is the finished look and hopefully the LED bulbs will last for several years.


It felt good to get that job done.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

2/18/24 meal date

4 comments:

  1. Aside from a burger, there's no better meal than steak and baked potatoes. What kind of pan did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The steak, mushrooms, and potato combo is one of my very favorite meals! Yum. It's always a good feeling to tackle a big household job! Your kitchen ceiling looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Larry, When my grill went on the fritz a year ago, (fixed just recently), I started 'grilling' steaks using a ribbed grilling pan on the stove. They have always come out nicely, agreed not as good as over the fire on our grill, but still very satisfactory. Montreal steak seasoning plus butter...in my mind, these are the key elements for stove top grilling. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments