Friday, February 23, 2024

Ham Hash with Eggs With Mustard Cream Sauce

I’ve yet to meet a hash I didn’t like but I don’t recall ever putting a sauce on one so I was intrigued when Lea Ann posted the recipe for Ham Hash with Eggs With Mustard Cream Sauce on her “Cooking On The Ranch” blog.  I made it per her recipe below but I did all of the prep work, including cooking the potatoes, the day before.  Since I plated ours, you can click on the link to see Lea Ann’s service in a bowl.

Ham Hash with Eggs With Mustard Cream Sauce

The Ingredients: 

4 tablespoons butter divided

2 tablespoons neutral oil canola or vegetable oil work well here

1½ lbs potatoes peeled, par-boiled and cubed (I cubed first)

2 medium jalapeno seeded and chopped (½ c chopped sweet pepper)

½ pound cooked ham steak cubed – note 1

½ whole sweet onion chopped (¾ cup)

1 tablespoon flour

1 cup whole milk

1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

2 hard-boiled eggs peeled and sliced

2 tablespoons cilantro chopped, for garnish

Note 1:  My ham was already sliced about ¼“ thick so it didn’t end up in cubes.

The Instructions:

1. Peel, cube and par-boil the potatoes. Cook until potatoes are about half-way cooked through. Drain.

2. In large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the butter and oil until butter is melted. Add potatoes, ham, peppers, and onion. Cook over medium heat, using a wide spatula to scoop and turn the mixture over, until potatoes have browned.

3. While hash is cooking, make mustard cream sauce. In small saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Stir in flour to make a roux.

4. Once the roux is starting to turn color, add milk and stir over low heat until sauce begins to thicken. Stir in mustard. Continue cooking until sauce is thick.

When hash is finished cooking, place in serving bowl. Spoon the mustard cream sauce over the middle of the hash and top with the sliced eggs. Serve at once. 

5. I added the hash to each plate and topped with sauce and eggs.

To increase the carb load 😊, I served it with sourdough cheese toast and blackberries.

The Verdict:

We both thought the sauce and hash very good and would make it again, but I should have used more sauce.  Since Cindy didn't eat any, I wish I had used the jalapenos.  The blackberries were terrible, not surprisingly.

For the leftovers, I made the same thing but topped it with poached rather than hard boiled eggs.  I would never say I could improve one of Chef Lea Ann's dishes but I will say the eggs went pretty well with mustard cream sauce.


The previous night for supper, Bev stopped on her way back from an overnight in Gatlinburg and picked up a couple of large pizzas from Papa Murphy’s.  If you aren’t familiar with them, they make raw pizzas for you to bake at home.  We ordered a Papa’s Favorite and a Herb Chicken Mediterranean and baked them one at a time.




I thought they were both pretty good but the Papa’s Favorite needed more sauce.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

2/16/24 meal date

3 comments:

  1. So glad you liked the ham hash. And love the switch to poached eggs. Next time I make this recipe, I'm going to use fried eggs. We have a Papa Murphy's that in my opinion is too close and too convenient. We think they make great pizzas and it's nice to be able to pop it in the oven on your own time rather than depend on a delivery time. I usually pick up the pizza in the afternoon. Our favorites are The Cowboy and Thai Chicken with Zucchini. And love using the air fryer to re-heat a slice for breakfast. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds wonderful and I am sending to my son he is a big fan of hash he will love the ham

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Larry, I do like the idea of mustard cream sauce. I put Dijon mustard on most sandwiches no matter what the protein is and I do like mustard based BBQ sauce once in a while. Once again, you are the "breakfast king!" Take Care, Big Daddy Dave FYI...re: your recent comments. I actually liked the second 'smaller' yacht better than that big one as it looks more traditional with more deck to size of the yacht ratio.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments