Monday, February 5, 2024

A Good Lunch At Countryside Restaurant

We only exchange Christmas gifts with one friend so this year, for my gift, I gave her five lunches at the restaurants of her choice – but she’s making me choose.  This also fulfills my deal with Bev to eat out once per week.  So far we had gone to our local Mexican place and the Cheddars in Alcoa and for the third meal we went to the Countryside Restaurant in Vonore – a 10 minute drive.  I don’t know how long it’s been in business but it’s more than the 30 years I’ve lived in the area.  It changed hands not long ago and rumor has it that the food has significantly improved.


We got there at 11:30am and they were already doing a pretty brisk business.  I had already studied the menu and knew I wanted to order the Catfish which came with hushpuppies and two sides – I chose slaw and onion rings ($13)

Our friend opted for Chicken Fried Steak with onion rings and broccoli and gravy on the side so the pic wasn’t as impressive ($11.50).

Bev opted for the Cheesesteak Philly with fries ($11)

The Verdict:

My first thought was that “I can’t believe I got all that food for $13 - I only ate one fish filet and the onion rings.  My fish was lightly batted, moist and delicious, the slaw was good and the onion rings were the typical frozen from a bag, but still decent.  I would definitely order the fish again.  Bev’s sandwich was pretty tasty but the meat was a little dry and the seasoned fries were good.  Kathy enjoyed her chicken fried steak but I like mine drenched in gravy.  In all, we enjoyed eating at Countryside and will go back in the near future, especially when I want catfish.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

01/31/22 meal date

8 comments:

  1. Those meals all look good --but I'm am always looking for some good catfish... Guess we will have to check out that restaurant sometime. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want my chicken fried steak drenched also. I'm still on the hunt for good onion rings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The anonymous is Sandie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit there are some pretty good onion rings for sale in the freezer dept. And since I've never been able to make them, they'll do just fine. Those meals are amazing for the price tag. As always, I would have ordered what Bev ordered.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unless of course there was a burger on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Larry, Countryside certainly has significantly improved under its new ownership...and the prices are right. The same owner also operates "The Lazy Beagle" in Sweetwater and an unconfirmed rumor has it that he's also operating The Patio Restaurant in Madisonville. He used to operate the Tanasi Restaurant in Tellico Village and it was a loss when new operators too over. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a tasty lunch for you all! I'm with you--drench that chicken fried steak in gravy please!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's always great rediscover a restaurant that has improved since the last time. I think Bev has it right-Eating out once a week is. a great idea.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments