Thursday, February 8, 2024

Delicious Manhattan Clam Chowder

We invited Eliza and her family down for Sunday supper and since her mom (Wende) just had a birthday, we asked if she had a request for the meal.  She chose Manhattan Clam Chowder, which was uncanny as I’d been thinking about it recently myself – haven’t made it in several years.  The original recipe is for a slow cooker and makes about three quarts, but since I wanted enough for leftovers and to send home with Wende, I doubled the recipe to get the one below.

Before we ate, Eliza enjoyed the 60F temperature to take a spin in the big wheel, which is kept here, and she invented a new way to play T-ball.


Manhattan Clam Chowder

Ingredients:

½ lb bacon chopped

2 large chopped onion (3 cups)

4 thinly sliced carrots

6 stalks sliced celery

2 tablespoon parsley flakes (I used 1/3 cup chopped fresh)

56 oz. can diced tomatoes (I used 2 qts of homemade tomato juice)

3 teaspoon salt (or salt to taste)

64 oz. minced clams with liquid

4 whole pepper corns (I used ¼ tsp ground)

2 large garlic clove minced

1 small can tomato paste

3 bay leaves

3 teaspoons dried thyme

6 cups diced waxy potatoes

2 can Rotel (optional)

Directions:

In an 8 qt pot (or larger) over medium low heat, cook the bacon until some of the fat is rendered.

Add the onions, carrots, and celery and cook until onions begin to soften.

Add all the remaining ingredients (except potatoes) and cook, uncovered, on low about 3 hours.

An hour before serving, add the potatoes.

My pot was barely large enough.

We served the soup with salad and Bev’s Mexican Cornbread.

The Verdict:

It was delicious and a big hit with everyone.  If you like Manhattan Clam Chowder, I'm confident you will enjoy this one.  For the slow cooker, cut the ingredients in half, chop and fry the bacon in a skillet, add everything to the pot, cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

02/04/24 meal date


7 comments:

  1. It was delicious 😋

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have only had Manhattan style one time many many years ago and who knows when what where and how. I'd like to try this recipe. What clams do you buy? That little girl is amazingly happy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our choices here a limited so I just use the grocery store minced clams.

      Delete
  3. I love that curly hair. Such a cutie.
    Everything on that recipe sounds wonderful except the clams which kind of defeats the whole recipe. My Montana upbringing just doesn't allow for much seafood. 😔

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Larry, Looks like a great meal... For some reason Laurie doesn't like Manhattan clam chowder but loves the New England version. Looks like Eliza had a lot of fun! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's been far too long since I last had Manhattan clam chowder. Eliza is so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments