Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Beef Tri-Tip Roast, Reverse Sear

When I go to the grocery store, I generally browse the seafood and high end meat case and during a recent visit, I spied a rarely seen (in these parts) tri-tip roast, so I scarfed it up.  After considering several preparation methods, I decided I would use a combination of methods I haven’t used before - dry brine and reverse-sear using the oven.

I began by thoroughly Jaccarding the meat to tenderize it then I applied a liberal coat of Montreal Steak Seasoning and wrapped in plastic to dry brine it (new) for about 22 hours.  This is before wrapping.

Rather than the grill, I decided to use the more accurate temperature control of the oven (new) for the initial cooking and got it to an internal temp of 120F which took an hour.


Then I wrapped it in plastic to rest in the 120F toaster oven until meal time.

When we were ready to eat, I put it the meat a hot skillet for a minute or so per side to add the crust (too cold outside to use the grill).

After resting for a couple of minutes (it had already rested in the toaster oven), it was sliced and served along with a baked sweet potato.


The Verdict:

I thought I had over cooked it in the oven but it ended up at a nice medium rare with a very thin layer of more-well-done around the edge - this is the advantage of the reverse sear method.  The meat was pretty tender and very flavorful and the dry brine, oven bake, and skillet sear worked well and will be used again.  My only concern is that it did not have the shape of a normal tri-tip so I'll ask next time.

And for breakfast it went really well when nuked for 30 seconds and served with some cheesy scrambled eggs - I'm watching carbs or would had added an English muffin.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

01/20 -1/22/24 meal dates





7 comments:

  1. What is Jaccarding? I never like my tri tip roast, they are always dry so I'm going to try this method.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaccarding is using this device in this link to tenderize the meat - https://www.amazon.com/Jaccard-200348-Supertendermatic-48-Blade-Tenderizer/dp/B001347JK6?th=1

      Delete
  2. you are right I never find Tri Tip and when I do I grab a few of them. I love that tenderizer also and use it on sirloin it melts in your mouth! The tri tip looks wonderful now you having me wishing for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never see that cut of meat here either! You were lucky to find one and it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks absolutely perfect to me!!! I've only tried reverse sear once but will again after seeing your results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Larry, I don't think that I've ever seen or eaten a tri-tip roast...nor have I tried the reverse sear...or the dry brine method. As for the Jaccard, I always worry that the process will allow the juices to escape. Guess not. Good looking and a healthy meal to boot! Great breakfast! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm surprised a tri-tip is hard for you to find. Years ago, I could only get them at our local specialty butcher and at Costco. Now our grocery stores regularly carry them. I tried reverse sear once, with instructions guided by you. It turned out great.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments