Sunday, January 14, 2024

Not So Spicy Beef Stir Fry

I recently cut steaks from a whole beef tenderloin and ended up with a pound of tail meat so Bev suggested we turn it into stir fry.  I looked back thru my blog posts and found several for beef stir fry and two that had great reviews.  Friend, Russ, commented that our most recent one “may have been the best meal he has had at our place.”  But since we just made it last year, I opted for a recipe from 2012 that got this comment - “I thought it was very good and Bev said it may have been our best ever stir fry.”


This recipe for Spicy Beef Stir Fry comes from Jenn’s Food Journey blog which is no longer active.  We made this dish back before Bev developed an issue with her mouth which has made it much less tolerant of spicy heat so I cut back on it.  I’d found a bag of broccoli cuts in the freezer and opted to use them as our green vegetable.  After marinating, I grilled the meat before slicing rather than fry it in the wok – Bev likes the grilled taste and I can keep it less done this way.

Not So Spicy Beef Stir Fry

Ingredients:

For the marinade:

1 T. hoisin

2 t. soy sauce

1-2 T. sriracha (Larry used 1 t.)

1½ T. rice vinegar

For the stir fry:

1 lb. steak, thinly sliced into strips

1 T. vegetable oil

? oz broccoli cuts (added by Larry)

Big handful of sliced onion half moons

1 red bell pepper, cut into strips or chunks

1 can water chestnuts (added by Larry)

1 clove of garlic, minced

1 Tbs. chopped ginger

For the sauce:

3 T. soy sauce

1 T. rice vinegar

½ t. sriracha

½ t. honey

¼ t. red pepper flakes

¼ t. cornstarch

S&P to taste

Directions:

Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a small bowl. 

Place the sliced steak into a Ziploc bag and pour the marinade over it.  Seal bag and let sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour and as long as 4 hours.

In a small bowl or measuring cup, mix together all the ingredients for the sauce and set aside.

Grill the beef over medium high heat and cook to med-rare, cover and keep warm. (I used the toaster oven set on 125F)

In large deep skillet or wok, heat the oil over high heat. 

Add broccoli and cook for 2 minutes.

Add the peppers and onions and stir fry for 1 minute. 

Add the water chestnuts and stir fry another 1 minute. 

Add the garlic and ginger and let cook for 1 minute.

While the above is cooking, slice the beef into strips.

Pour the sauce over the vegetables, stir to combine.  Cook until the sauce becomes thick and the veggies are nearly cooked to your liking. 

Stir in the beef and cook until warmed thru but still pink.

Serve over rice (if desired) and enjoy! (no rice for us)

The Verdict:

Bev thought it was very good but I thought it needed at least triple the sauce amount.  The main reason I’m posting this is to show how the meat turned out which was just right and I'll use this method with other meat cuts.  Beef tenderloin definitely makes good stir fry and we enjoyed the grilled flavor.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

1/10/24 meal date

4 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of spicy! This is calling my name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good stir fry. We'll take ours spicy, so I'll keep those red pepper flakes in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Larry, That beef looks great and I'd make a sandwich asap if it were me! Don't you love the snow and cold?! We are happily housebound for the next couple of days... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very tasty meal! The meat does look perfectly cooked and so delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments