Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Baked Chicken Wings

Bev came home with a package of chicken wings and said she’d like to try them baked and I just happen to have saved the recipe for Baked Chicken Wings from Dennis on his “Ask Chef Dennis” blog a few days previously.  Our package contained five pounds of nice sized wings so I increased the ingredient amounts by 2½ times. To get the recipe below.


Baked Chicken WingsAdapted from Ask Chef Dennis

Ingredients:

5 pounds chicken wings split at the joints (wing tips discarded or saved for soup)

2½ tablespoon baking powder

2½ teaspoon garlic powder

2½ teaspoon sweet paprika

1¼ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon black pepper

Instructions:

Preheat your oven to 400°F.

Add the garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and baking powder to a small bowl.

Whisk to combine the seasonings.

Place the wings on a cutting board, then cut the wings at the joint into 2 or 3 pieces. You can serve the wingette with the wingtip attached or removed.

Pat dry the wings dry with paper towels then place them in a large bowl and toss them with half of the seasoning mixture.

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on top of the pan.

This will help air circulate and help the wings get crispy.

Spray the rack with non-stick pan spray.

Arrange the wings in single layer on the prepared wire rack.

Sprinkle the remaining seasoning mixture on the wings (I got it a little heavy on a few of them).

Place the tray on the center rack of the preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes.

Remove the pan from the oven and turn the wings over. Return the pan to the oven and continue to bake for 25 minutes.

*Depending on the size of the wings you may need to bake them 5-10 minutes longer.

Remove the pan from the oven and let the wings cool for 5 minutes before serving if you're not tossing them in Buffalo sauce. If you are using sauce, there is no need to let them cool.

I ate a couple without sauce then tossed them with some Food City Wing Sauce that we had on hand. 

Bev is not a fan of chicken drumsticks or wing drumettes so I get them and she stays with the wingettes (I ate a couple just to check them for doneness).  We tossed the leftovers in sauce so they would be ready to eat with just a quick nuke.

We ate no sides so we could fill up on wings.

The Verdict:

We both thought they were very good with just the spices and with the sauce and I’ll be using this recipe for my future wings.  The 50 minute bake had them cooked just right but the skin was not very crispy.  For our next batch, I'll try this spice mix and deep fry them. 

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

1/13/24 meal date

7 comments:

  1. I love this healthier version and they look fried!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't wait to get to the bottom of this post to read your verdict about the crispiness. it's been awhile since I've baked wings, but I think I was always somewhat satisfied with the texture. We don't have a deep fat fryer, so always have to rely on oven or grill. I do like the sound of the spice seasoning here. I'll have to try this recipe. And as far as the "only wings with no sides". I think that should be a chicken wing National rule. :-) Aside from celery and blue cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently made wings too! Yours look perfectly cooked & nice and spicy with the added hot sauce. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what sauce?? looks good..HRB..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, We've never tried baking the wings but we should as its healthier. Fried is our preference... I'm guessing that we eat chicken wings once every couple weeks...but we usually buy them ready to heat or eat. Like Bev, Laurie doesn't like the little 'drummies' so I get them...my preference in any case. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't get enough of buffalo wings when they are prepared well. This sounds like a good recipe, Larry, and with your stamp of approval, I'll finally try to make them. I like the idea of baking them instead of frying since we're on a health kick in this family.
    We prefer larger drummies with medium (not mild) heat. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments