Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Not Exactly Cowboy or Cincinnati Chili & Prime Rib Finale

I’ve been trying to make Sundays a pasta day but with plenty of leftovers in the fridge, I thought I’d have to miss this week,  but when I opened up my email that morning, there was Chef Lea Ann’s post for Stove-Top Cowboy Spaghetti  with a pic of chili over pasta.  So, I read the post and realized my chili didn’t fit her recipe nor did it fit Cincinnati chili which contains many of the flavors in Jerk Seasoning (eg. cinnamon, cloves, allspice).

So, I’ll just call mine "Pasta Topped, Chili, Onion, and Cheddar."

While the other two dishes use string pasta, I decided to use shaped pasta as I think it’s easier to eat with chunky sauces and I used our leftover chili from the Friday meal of Loaded Chili Baked Potato.  I’ve seen Cincinnati Chili on TV several times and it often looks like this.

And Lea Ann's looks like this.

But since we’d like to lose rather than gain weight, we scaled everything back quite a bit and ate a salad first.

I cooked the small shell pasta according to package directions, drained and added it to bowls.  Then it got a good scoop of our chili, some chopped onions and shredded cheddar.


Then I mixed it all together well to get this - I believe it needed more chili.


Maybe it's just me, but I think I can envision this with an egg or two on top.

The Verdict:

This was the first time I’ve eaten chili over pasta and I thought it was good but the pasta diluted the flavor of our chili.  So I can see why the Cincinnati version has so many more intense flavors - I'll have to try it and Lea Ann's versions sometime.  

Prime Rib

After a couple of rounds of prime rib and potato hash with eggs for breakfasts, I was sure we had eaten all of the prime rib from Christmas but low and behold I found a couple more slices while digging around in our meat drawer (we keep it near 32F so it was a little frozen).  We also had a baked potato, a few hash browns, and some chopped onion in the fridge so I turned the leftovers into the classic steak and eggs breakfast - which looks like this. 

But my scaled back version looked like this - not quite as impressive a pic but I'd guess just as good tasting - my egg soon went atop the potatoes and all mixed together.


Two Days Later - yep, even better for breakfast.



Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

1/7/24 meal date

4 comments:

  1. Hi Larry, this is the beauty of this type of dish-it can be anything you want it to be. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the pasta chili my kids loved it but me not so much. It's hearty and economical to feed a large family so that was a plus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Larry, We're both with you re: chili over noodles...it dilutes the pop of flavor from the chili. Of course we like our chili spicy but neither of us 'get' or understand Cincinnati chili. It's just too sweet for us. Love the prime rib breakfasts, either one although that first one is killer appealing! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both breakfasts look delicious! I've always wanted to try Cincinnati chili. I need to give it a try because your version looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments