Thursday, January 4, 2024

A Few More Delicious Holiday Meals & One For Luck

We had quite a bit of the prime rib left from Christmas dinner and one use was French Dip Sandwiches.  I made them by the recipe that Daughter, Kathy, uses in her café in Nebraska.  I sliced the meat fairly thin and took out the fat.  Then I piled it to the shape of the bread, topped with cheese, and gave it a 60 second nuke to warm it.

Next, I mixed a little horseradish with some mayo and smeared it on the split, warmed bun (15 seconds nuke) then assembled the Sammy.

I served it with a bowl of hot jus that was left over from Christmas for an awesome sandwich.  I added a toasted English muffin for a real top shelf breakfast.

The next morning, I sauteed some peppers and onions then added some diced prime rib to warm and removed this to a bowl.  Then, I added two jumbo beaten eggs to the pan and when set I added the beef/veggies to one half and shredded cheddar to the other half then folded and plated.


We had three large beef shanks from our 12/29 meal and we made good use of them.  I removed the meat from the bone and fat, chopped it and mixed it with the leftover gravy.  For the first meal from it, I was inspired by a friends recipe to make burritos.  I added a good amount of the warmed meat mixture to a tortilla.

Then rolled it up, topped with shredded cheese, and nuked until the cheese was melted.  Added salsa verde to one half for a taste test. 

It was very good but think I would prefer chopped jalapenos inside rather than salsa verde.

And for good luck in the new year, we saved some Hoppin Johns from our Oct. 21 meal to eat on New Years Day.  “Today, the tradition of eating black-eyed peas for the New Year has evolved, as many traditions do, into a number of variations – but most hold the theme of luck and prosperity that harkens back to the Civil War days when people felt lucky to have black-eyed peas to eat and help them survive the cold, harsh winter months.”   We added a little-every-thing's-better with cheese and nuked to reheat – they were still right tasty.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

1/1-1/2/24 meal date

3 comments:

  1. I'll take one sandwich and one omelette please. And congrats to Kathy on her restaurant. Thanks for the email.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, French dip beef sandwiches are one of our favorites for sure...especially when good prime rib is involved. Of course, I usually wear some of that juice... I made hash for my self with a bit of our leftover prime rib. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shouldn't have come here hungry! The French dip looks perfect and I love all of the different meals (especially breakfast) you made using the leftover prime rib. I've still never had black-eyed peas and I really need to change that!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments