Friday, August 20, 2010

Tuscan Steak And Beans

I had a steak in the fridge that needed to be used and found this recipe for Tuscan Steak and Beans at Food.com, and since there were three of us I added the second steak and made it just like the recipe.

Tuscan Steak And Beans
Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

· 1 teaspoon olive oil
· 1/2 teaspoon salt
· 2 -10 ounces boneless beef top loin steaks
· 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
· 1 medium onion, sliced
· 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
· 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
· 1 pint grape tomatoes
· 16 ounces white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
· fresh rosemary leaf

Directions

1. In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over med-high heat until very hot but not smoking. Sprinkle steaks with salt and pepper. Add steaks to skillet and cook 8-10 min, turning once for med-rare or desired doneness. Transfer steaks to cutting board; keep warm.

2. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion to drippings in skillet and cook, stirring until browned and tender, about 5 minutes. Add vinegar, chopped rosemary, and 2 tbsp water, stirring until browned bits are loosened from bottom of skillet. Stir in tomatoes and beans; cook, stirring occasionally until heated through - about 2 minute.

3. Thinly slice steaks and serve with tomato and bean mixture. Garnish with rosemary leaves.

Here’s a shot of my plate and we sided it with a piece of cheese toast the recipe for which we picked up from Steph over at “Plain Chicken.”


I don’t normally cook steak in a skillet and I wound up getting them a little more done than I wanted. I wouldn’t make this again without adding a lot more flavors, especially to the bean mix. The bread was the highlight of the meal and the worst part was I had a nice little piece of rosemary for garnish and forgot it until my meal was about gone. I'll never make it as a restaurant chef because eating a hot meal is more important to me than presentation - and luckily, I have no plans to become one :-).

I notice I have some new followers - welcome and thanks for reading my ramblings.

Have a nice day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

12 comments:

  1. After seeing Vickie's fried beans over at Part 3, I would have fried em up. I haven't had a steak since our camping trip...looks so good. And that toast...ohmy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks like a delicious plate, Larry. I like the idea of tomatoes and beans with herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Larry, Oh--that steak looks so GOOD... I haven't had a good steak in awhile... I think it's time to have one....This weekend may just be the time!!!!!

    We have a gorgeous, COOL morning up here (64 degrees)... First in a LONG time... yeah!!!!

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steak, beans and cheese toast...sounds great to me. Every so often I get very hungry for a good steak. This may be the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now this is a real treat for dinner. It nice to see you moving out of your comfort zone and expiramenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My pictures are never that pretty either, because I want hot food, too! That food looks good without the garnish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL Larry, I'm the same way. Other food bloggers do all this pretty photo styling but me, I'm cooking for the family - not for the blog - so the priority is always EATING!!

    I saw that bread over at Stephanie's blog - never thought to try ranch dressing on my cheesy bread, but definitely gonna give it a shot to see if I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Larry, it looks delicious! I'm with you on flavor, and our choice is to "grill" steaks and with a peppered dry rub on any tri-tip. My husband loves "flavors" so he'd likely side with you. ;) Have a great weekend and grill something up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad to know someone else forgets things like the garnish. Happens to me all of the time Larry.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love steak sliced on top of anything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks good, with or without the rosemary sprig!

    I have a tuscan bean recipe I want to try where you put the beans in a bottle and put them in the dying embers of a fire (flask beans). I just haven't gotten brave enough to try it yet.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments