Wednesday, November 30, 2022

Transylvanian Goulash Inspired Dish And Thanksgiving At Wende’s

When I saw this recipe for Transylvanian Goulash from Debbie on her “A Feast For The Eyes” blog and with my girls, who would be lukewarm on trying it, off in Florida, I was inspired to make a similar dish for myself, especially since I had some pork chops in the freezer and a jar of kraut in the fridge. 

Since I was making it for just me, I halved the ingredient amounts and changed the cooking method so as not to overcook the chops as I prefer them slightly pink.  I debated whether to leave the chops whole or cut them up and I opted for the former.  You can click on the above link for Debbie's original recipe and how-to pics.

Transylvanian Goulash Inspired DishAdapted from A Feast For The Eyes

Ingredients:

3 - ¾“ thick pork loin chops

Salt and pepper

½ tbsp. vegetable oil

½ onion chopped fine

½ green bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and chopped fine

1 celery ribs chopped fine

1 plum tomato chopped - I had none

1½ tbsp. sweet paprika

½ tbsp. caraway seeds

1 garlic cloves minced

1½ c. water

1 c. sauerkraut rinsed and drained

Sour cream garnish - as usual, I forgot the garnishes

minced fresh dill garnish

Instructions:

1. Pat pork dry with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and pepper and dust with flour.

2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking.

3. Add the chops and brown on both sides (Reduce heat if bottom of pot begins to scorch.)


4. Remove to a plate and cover to keep warm.

5. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion, bell pepper, celery, tomato, and ¼ teaspoon salt to now-empty pot and cook until vegetables are softened and liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes, scraping up any browned bits.

6. Add paprika, caraway seeds, and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.

7. Stir in the kraut and cook until it is warmed through.


8. Return chops to the pan with any juices and cook until it is at 140F internal temperature.

9. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve, garnished with sour cream and dill - if you can remember.

The Verdict:

The chops were very good topped with the delicious kraut concoction and now I look forward to making the goulash.

Thanksgiving

Since I was home alone, Wende invited me to join them for Thanksgiving supper in Oak Ridge (about an hours drive).  She and her mom, who lives with her, had a not so traditional meal of artichoke casserole, dressing, cranberry salad and Cornish hens and I provided the wine.

This worked perfectly as Bev is not a fan of Cornish hens and I am but Wende cooked them in a totally new way for me.  I’ve only had them oven-baked but she spatchcocked them, built a fire in her outdoor fire ring and cooked them over the hot coals which gave them a little smoky flavor. 



I thought they were delicious and I enjoyed getting to share the holiday with them – especially Eliza.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

11/23 & 11/24/22 meal dates

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you were with family over Thanksgiving. I think your feast looks delicious!! The pork chops look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting and ingtriguing dish I would love a taste of !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not much of a cornish hen fan ... but never thought about grilling them. Happy Thanksgiving ... a little late.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, Still eating healthy I see...I should follow your example. Getting your veggies, even with pork chops! Love Cornish hens and we used to eat them about once a month. Thanks for reminding me of this poultry option. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments