Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Go-To Vegetable Beef Soup and Me and The Pups

The boys and me watching a little Saturday football while the girls are in Florida.  Sometimes it's one between my legs and one on each side.

In my effort to reduce our frozen food inventory, I found a chuck roast and several bags of frozen vegetables and with cold weather and our weekly get together coming up, vegetable soup made it onto the menu.  We normally don’t use a recipe and just dump whatever we have into our vegetable soup but this time I decided to start with a recipe from Cooking Classy, which I doubled to get the one below.  I also adjusted some of the ingredients and added some.


Vegetable Beef SoupAdapted from Cooking Classy

Ingredients:

3¼ lbs. well-trimmed beef chuck

5 tbsp. olive oil, divided

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

3½ cups chopped yellow onion (2 large)

3½ cups peeled and chopped carrots (5 medium)

2 cup chopped celery (6 medium)

3 tbsp. minced garlic (6 cloves)

3 qt. beef or chicken broth (start with 2 qts. next time)

2 qt. diced tomatoes (I used our home canned)

3 tsp. dried basil

2 tsp dried oregano

1 tsp. dried thyme

2 tbsp. Tiger seasoning

8 cups waxy potatoes, cut into ¾“ cubes

8 oz pkg. frozen green beans, thawed

3 cups frozen corn, thawed

2 cup frozen peas, thawed

S&P to taste

Instructions:

1. Trim the beef as necessary and cut into bite-sized pieces.

2. Heat 1 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.

3. Dab beef dry with paper towels, season with salt and pepper then add half of the beef to pot and brown about 4 minutes, turning halfway through.



4. Transfer to a plate add another 1/2 Tbsp oil to pot and repeat process with remaining half of beef.


5. Add another 1 Tbsp oil to now empty pot then add onions, carrots, and celery and season with S&P.  Saute for about 5 minutes, add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.

6. Pour in broth, tomatoes, browned beef, basil, oregano, thyme and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring once or twice throughout until beef is nearly tender.



7. Add potatoes and green beans then continue to simmer, covered, 30-45 minutes until everything is tender.

8. Pour in corn and peas and simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes.  Taste and adjust seasoning.

The Verdict:

It turned out very well and was a big hit with our crowd.  I’ll use this recipe from now on with a broth adjustment.  The recipe called for four quarts of broth and I used three but since I like a hearty soup, I'll start with two quarts next time and add more as needed.

I was planning to go to Marco Island with Bev this year for the first week, but about a half dozen negative things occurred that I took as omens that I should stay home with a dead treetop in our lake parking lot being the final straw,

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

11/10/22 meal date



3 comments:

  1. Your pups are so cute! Love that beef soup. My kind of comfort food and it reminds me of my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love that photo of you and the dogs. You all look like you mean business. Always love a good beef and vegetable soup. Might have to make some this weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments