Thursday, November 10, 2022

A Very Eventful Trip Home From The Rally Plus Delicious Peanuts And a Toe Update

While the rally went very well and we had a good time, the same cannot be said for the trip home which turned out pretty bad.  Since we had no hot water and Teddy was sick, we decided to leave around 2pm on Friday rather than spend another night and leave Saturday morning.  We got 11 miles up the road when the coach geared down and the check engine light came on so I pulled off the interstate at the Ooltewah on-ramp.

Since I knew one of our fellow campers was knowledgeable about diesels, I gave him a call and he and several others came to help.  After a little investigation they found the problem and determined it could not be repaired on site and would require a tow.  After a few phone calls, we decided our best option was to have it towed to the repair shop in Maryville and we hired Doug Yates Towing to do the job.  They showed up with a 50 ton rotator rig that looked like this.

$2600 later the coach was at the shop and we finally got home around 10:30pm for what turned out to be a long, stressful day.  The shop has done a preliminary investigation and determined that there is quite a bit of damage so I’m sure it is going to be costly to repair.

Bev says never again and she wants to sell the coach and I tend to agree.  So we now have a big decision to make regarding future travel, but it will not involve a motorhome - fifth wheel maybe.

Peanuts

In my younger days, I recall Planters Cocktail Peanuts being my favorite as they tasted good and had virtually no skins – well not any more.  The taste is just okay, the freshness is just okay and they are full of skins – very different than what I remember.  Since I really enjoy nuts, I decided to give nuts.com a try and they were even worse – I fed them to the birds.

Then I saw an add for Belmont Peanuts and decided to give them a try and ordered Salted Peanuts, Chocolate Covered Peanuts, Honey Roasted Peanuts, and Jumbo Salted Cashews.




I thought the peanuts were outstanding with a fresh crunchy texture and no hint of rancid or stale – maybe the best I’ve had.

Toe Update

Remember these toes.

Then these.

Here they are now.

The second toe still wants to curve a little but, although still ugly, my foot now looks like most peoples and I can wear normal shoes and walk without out pain.  The other foot, which looks almost as bad as the first pic, is scheduled for Dec 13 which will give me the winter to recover.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

10/28/22 event date





3 comments:

  1. Larry, Not the best RV rally in the end, that's for sure! $2,600 to tow it and then add the necessary repairs... Sounds like it will be in the expense range almost matched by the 2 dental posts/teeth I'm working through... A fifth wheel should be simpler with less maintenance required...but then again you would need something to tow it. Thanks for the tip on the peanuts! Love good peanuts... Toes are much improved, that's for sure. Hi to Bev! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about the RV! You guys have had some amazing adventures throughout the country in that beauty. A fifth wheel would be fun! It looks like your toes have healed nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My.... So sorry about your trip home after such a good rally. You all enjoy those trips in your RV so much. Sorry. Sorry also about your foot problem.. We's hell to get old for sure!!! Hugs to you and Bev, Betsy

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments