Wednesday, November 30, 2022

A Few Meals I Didn’t Post About - Stuffed Delicata Squash, Baked Steak and Mushrooms, and Mediterranean Potato Salad

I kept seeing these gourd looking things in our fridge and had no idea what they were and hadn’t bothered to ask Bev.

As always, when we go to the Mennonite market, we ask our neighbors if they want anything and for this trip, she requested four Delicate Squash and since I had no idea what that was, I went to the web for help.  What I found was Delicata Squash (she had spelled it wrong) and they were just what we had in our fridge.  The name comes from them being a winter squash but with a tender, edible skin.

So, it was back to the web to learn what to do with them and while most recipes slice them into half rounds, I like the idea of a stuffed squash boat. The first one was Stuffed Delicata Squash for which I combine two recipes.  I found one recipe for Delicata Squash and Sausage Gratin from Katlns Kitchen and another for Stuffed Roasted Delicata Squash from Aggies Kitchen.  I used the first recipe for my stuffing and the second one for roasting the squash.



We all thought the dish was very good and were surprised at the sweetness of the squash and when I told my neighbor how we had fixed the squash she quickly said that I had ruined it by stuffing, so we’ll be more of a purist next time.

Baked Steak and Mushrooms

I didn’t post about my Baked Steak and Mushrooms because of the pics, even though it was delicious.  I used the recipe from All Recipes except I used only 3 cups of beef broth due to my pan depth and you can see from the pics that was a mistake as I was short on gravy.  Since I was using cubed steak, I cooked it about half the time and I added 16oz. of mushrooms.  Next time I’ll make it as written and use a deeper pan for plenty of gravy.

 





Mediterranean Potato Salad

When I the see the words potato salad, Mediterranean, and feta in a recipe, I know I need to pay attention so when Kevin posted the recipe for Mediterranean Potato Salad on his “Closet Cooking” blog, I did so.  I’ve had it saved since July and when I mentioned it to Bev, it didn’t appeal to her – not a fan of feta.  So, when she and the girls headed for Florida, I decided this was the time to try it and it turned out very well but quite different than the traditional versions.



Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

10/27-11/15/22 meal date

2 comments:

  1. I really love all types of squash. My favorite way (from my childhood) is baked with butter & either maple syrup or brown sugar & cinnamon in the center. YUM! The steak/mushrooms looks tasty & so does the potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to make that baked steak and soon.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments