Sunday, July 4, 2021

Hip Surgery Diet - Tri Tip Roast

    Happy Birthday America

It’s time to get very serious about losing weight in prep for a likely second hip replacement surgery so I can get to where I need to be in two months.  I will be doing the same as prior to the last replacement and using a combo of Mediterranean, low carb, and low-calorie diets.  While I am not going completely the keto high fat, low carb, low protein route (so I can eat healthy legumes), my meals will look pretty keto friendly.

So, it will be lots of vegetables, meat, salads and no alcohol.  As a result, I may not have as many blog-worthy meals but we’ll see.

My first meal up comes from Debbie on her A Feast For The Eyes blog and uses her recipe for Santa Maria Tri-tip roast but I amended the process to get the recipe below.    You can click on the link to her blog for the original recipe and more pics like this.

Santa Maria Tri TipAdapted from A Feast For The Eyes

Ingredients:

2½ lb. tri-tip roast trimmed

6 t. minced garlic

2 T. olive oil

3/4 t. salt

1 t. pepper

3/4 t. garlic salt

Instructions:

1. Pat roast dry with paper towels and Jaccard on both sides.

2. Combine garlic, oil, and salt and rub over roast. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

3. Using paper towels, wipe garlic paste off roast.

4. Rub pepper and garlic salt all over meat.

5. Set up gas grill for smoking and reverse sear cooking.  Cook the meat over indirect heat to an internal temperature of 120F then cook over very high heat for a few minutes on each side to develop a crust.

6. Transfer meat to cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest a few minutes then slice thinly across the grain. 

We sided it with some locally grown White Half Runner Beans.

The Verdict:

Even though I didn’t cook it Santa Maria style, it was tender, juicy, and delicious and I would make it this way again.  As leftovers, I sliced it thin and nuked it just enough to get it warm and it was still delicious, especially when served with fried okra and an ear of local corn.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

6/27/21 event dates

4 comments:

  1. Wishing you lots of good thoughts as you prepare for another hip surgery. I do know that even as you lose weight whatever you fix will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly cooked and looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blog worthy, of course it will be. Do you know how many people are doing the same as you and will love to know what you make. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Larry, I don't think that we've ever had tri-tip. Looks good though. We probably should give it a try as it looks great on your plate! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments