Saturday, July 10, 2010

A Hot Day Salad Ala Lea Ann

Bev has been good friends with a lady since before I met her and she is also one of my BBQ customers. She’s my only customer who grew up in North Carolina and just wants a water, salt, vinegar SOP on her pork – go I give her the pork in bags and a container of SOP for her to add to suit her taste. The SOP is a friend’s secret family recipe so I can’t share it.

She’d asked that I just freeze the pork for her and the next task was getting it to her in Maryville, which is usually accomplished by she and Bev going to lunch. But this time, Bev suggested she come down here for lunch and they could lay out in the sun (I don’t understand why anyone wants to be out in the midday sun on a day in the high 90’s). Bev and I discussed a lunch that would be good on a hot day, fairly easy, and something our friend would like, and since we still had shrimp in the freezer, we decided on Lea Ann’s Avocado and Shrimp Salad with Mango Dressing, which we had made before and loved. Bev had picked some blue berries and blackberries that morning and suggested they would make for a prettier picture, so I scattered a few around the plates – they went well with the dish. We served it with the same Naan bread as in Lea Ann's blog. Here’s my plate.


I made everything up and took it down to the dock for final assembly, and it was a big hit. I didn't hang around to chit-chat very long as even the air from the ceiling fans was hot - I think they were going to cool off in the lake, but Sweetie Pie (our American Eskimo) and I elected the AC at the house.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by.

Larry

5 comments:

  1. I'm with you Larry. It is too hot for me. The lake water is like bath water right now. Your salad looks so darn refreshing. This reminded me of one I made last year. Check this out. http://lakelurecottagekitchen.blogspot.com/2009/08/dazzling-salad-towers.html I think I need to make it again. Will try yours too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on Lea Ann's dish . . . it's one of my favorites. I love the addition of berries, too. Those ladies sound like they had a wonderful afternoon - a gourmet lunch served "poolside" and that beautiful dock to lounge on. Nice header photo. Makes me want to go to the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait.....you had TWO gorgeous women tanning by the lake and you CHOOSE to go back inside?

    Uh, you're getting old, Larry! :) ;)

    Just kidding, it has been hot as **** outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you are liking this salad. It's a good'n. Perfect for a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks refreshing and tasty!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments