Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Chandlers Deli In Knoxville

Bev and I went to East Knoxville to shop at an indoor/outdoor flooring store and decided to time the trip such that we could eat lunch in the area. She did a search for places to eat in the area and came up with Chandler’s Deli and I went online to find out a little about it. According to what we read, they had good fried chicken, mac and cheese, collards, and broccoli casserole. We decided to give it a try and were not disappointed.

Upon walking in, I was a little surprised to find myself at the beginning of a cafeteria style line rather than going to a table for a server to take our order, so I quickly began studying the menu posted on a board overhead. After the online research, I knew I wanted fried chicken and collards so I just had to fill in around them. I ordered a fried chicken thigh, the greens, mac and cheese and fried green tomatoes – which I was told would be 4 minutes, as they were cooked to order. Bev ordered two fried wings (they were jumbos) and mac and cheese. We passed on any bread as the cornbread had sugar in it and the rolls weren’t homemade. We were given two drink cups without asking, so I assumed they were just included with the meal or they knew everyone would want one. Our total cost was $13.68 and I couldn’t believe the amount of food we had or the quality. Way better than a fast food place for about the same price and just as fast.

It was nothing fancy, but it was all very good, basic comfort/soul food. The chicken had a hot, crispy, well seasoned batter and the meat was moist and tender. The fried tomatoes seemed to have the same coating as the chicken and for $1.80 there were 6 large slices – Bev said they may have been the best she’s eaten. The other two sides were also obviously home made.

We will definitely go back if in the area and may be willing to make the trip (40 miles) to eat there. Just across the street is Pizza Palace, which was featured on the Food Network's “Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives” and as a regular watcher of the show, I think Chandlers should be on as well - think I'll submit it for consideration.

Any time we go on vacation, this is the type of eating establishment we seek out – the hole in the wall serving good food, where the locals eat vs. the mediocre, over-priced, tourist restaurant.

Have a good day and thanks for stopping by and as always, I enjoy your comments.

Larry

14 comments:

  1. Fried chicken and fried tomatoes - who could want more. Sounds like you and Bev made a good choice.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be on the lookout for Chandler's - what a bounty, finding a place that makes good fried chicken! I've had Pizza Palace pizza and I am hooked.

    I've been browsing your blog and love the pictures of Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds perfect - I love Southern food and I love hole-in-wall restaraunts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are the kinds of places that I love! Though I usually eat too much to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the local places to eat too-especially if they have good fried chicken! Sounds like you hit the jackpot of good food there. I'm afraid that I love fried chicken a bit too much, so I hardly ever make it at home anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, I love this kind of restaurant, good home cooking. Fried chicken is one of my favorites but I haven't found a restaurant anywhere close that serves it. I'll keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photo looks like the building is one of those old Taco franchises..Taco Tico or Taco Grande. Not anywhere in the entire city of Denver can you walk in and find a menu like that. All of that wonderful southern food is just not available here. Wanna move to Denver and start up your Larry's Diner? I think you should suggest it to Dive Diners show.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes the "hole in the wall" restaurants have the best food. I think the whole meal sounds tasty especially the fried tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like the perfect place for lunch... We too like the 'local' food establishments --rather than the touristy ones, when we travel.

    Have a good day..
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Must be somewhere near the zoo. My oldest son is going back to UTK, for a second PhD, so I'll have to tell him about Chandler's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with you Larry. I'd rather eat at a place where the locals eat. Sounds like a very reasonable place too. I love Guy Fieri and watch his show regular. (have you been watching the Next Food Network Star?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recommend trying the fried okra the next time you're at Chandler's. It's the best I've ever had.
    Also, I think you should probably consider going up the street to Scruggs BBQ for their ribs (I like the hot sauce), and go across the street to Mary's Tamales and get one hot tamale each, or a dozen frozen ones to go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andy - Thanks for the advice. We've actually had Mary's hot tamales and loved them and I'm always looking for a good BBQ joint.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've got to try that place some time. They have catered two of our company training events and I heard great things from the staff.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments