Sunday, April 28, 2024

Cindy Update, Mushroom-Avocado Scramble & Bacon, Asparagus, Mushroom Quiche With Gruyere and Fontina

After months of pain resulting from a bad hip including an infection (that was cured), Cindy now has a new hip and is beginning her recovery and it's great to see her smiling.

Please excuse me for putting two meals in one post as I have so much to share with yo and I don't want it to take until Memorial Day to post it all.  

Continuing with my breakfast scrambles from “The Taste Of Home’s” 30 New Ways To Eat Scrambled Eggs/, the next one up came from a recipe for Mushroom-Avocado Eggs On Toast but I made it as a scramble.  It called for brie but I didn’t want to buy it just for this dish so I used some goat cheese that I had on hand for another recipe.  While I used the same ingredients, portioned down for one serving, the original recipe is nowhere close to the scrambled egg dish I made so click on the link above for the actual recipe and pics.  The original, below, looks delicious and I may try it sometime but I’m making scrambles for now.

Mushroom-Avocado Egg Scramble

Ingredients:

2 jumbo or 3 regular eggs*

1 tablespoon cream

1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning

1/8 teaspoon dried basil

1 tablespoons butter

2-3 oz. sliced fresh mushrooms

1 ounce goat cheese

1/2 medium ripe avocado, half chopped and half sliced

*- We get our normal eggs from a person who has chickens and they are a variety of sizes which is why I just call them regular eggs in my recipes.

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, lemon pepper and basil until blended.

2. In a nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat.

3. Add the mushrooms and cook most of the liquid out of them.

4. Add the cheese and let it melt a little and stir into the mushrooms.

5. Add the chopped avocado and cook for a minute to warm it.

6. Pour in egg mixture and cook by pushing into large, soft curds.

7. Plate the eggs and top with sliced avocado.

I sided it with a slice of barely edible winter tomato.

The Verdict:

It was delicious and I would make it again but with two changes.  First, I learned that goat cheese does not like to melt so it will be brie next time.  Second, I don’t deal much with avocados and I let mine get a little too ripe so I’ll keep a better eye on them next time.  Now, I’m definitely looking forward to making the original recipe.

Bacon, Asparagus, Mushroom Quiche With Gruyere and Fontina

The next asparagus meal was a supper called Bacon,Asparagus, Mushroom Quiche With Gruyere and Fontina from Pam’s “For The Love Of Cooking” blog – her Asparagus Round-up.  I made just two changes by using some Ziller Swiss cheese that I just got from Guggisberg and by making it as a frittata.  The Ziller cheese is described as being between Swiss and Baby Swiss.  To shorten this post, I won’t reproduce the recipe here but you can get it at Pam’s site by clicking on the above link.

I used a cup of asparagus, cut into one inch pieces, five baby bella mushrooms, cut into sixths, half and half instead of milk, and I cooked it in a 10" skillet. 




I learned that if I pretended I was cooking scrambled eggs and kept scrapping up the bottom of the pan, the frittata would cook faster and it had very little browning on the bottom.   I finished it under the toaster oven broiler.

I sided it with an overripe avocado half.



The Verdict:
It was delicious, as expected, and since breakfast food is my favorite, I enjoy it anytime of the day, plus I now have a couple more breakfast meals to go with my scrambles.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

4/17/24 event dates

5 comments:

  1. Great news for Cindy. Smiles are a good thing. When I read your recipes, it makes me realize what a picky eater I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, this looks amazing….i really look forward to eating this delicious breakfast dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love that you made it into a frittata. I want to do that now, too!!! The scramble with goat cheese and avocado looks tasty. I'm thinking that brie would be very delicious with those ingredients as well! Now I'm craving breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news about Cindy and I'm loving all of these egg recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, Creativity and breakfast are your forte. Laurie would be all over these two breakfast offerings! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments