Saturday, April 13, 2024

Cheesy Asparagus Then Denver Omelet Scrambled Eggs, Each With A Gravy Biscuit

After my first sausage gravy meal that was just two biscuits, I decided to go on the hunt for different scrambled egg dishes to side them with and since our asparagus is now bearing, it seemed like a good place to start.  I did a web search and ended up on the “Taste Of Home” site titled 30 New Ways to Eat Scrambled Eggs.  Since they didn’t have one for asparagus, I just made up the one below.

We grow perennial onions in a pot and they are available year round.  We got them at the Mennonite market but not sure of the variety.

Cheesy Asparagus Scrambled Eggs

Ingredients:

2 jumbo eggs or 3 smaller ones, beaten

½ cup chopped asparagus in ½” pieces

1 slice creamy sharp cheddar, cut into pieces (See Note)

1 green onion, sliced small

1 pat butter

S&P to taste

Note: I’m not sure how you can have sharp cheese that is creamy but Dietz & Watson sells this one which is one of our favorites.  It doesn't have the bite of most sharp cheese but it is very good and it melts well.

Directions:

1. Melt butter in a pan over medium heat and prep asparagus and onion.



2. Add the asparagus, onion, S&P and cook to desired donness – I like mine soft.



3. When asparagus is about done, add the cheese so it can begin melting.



4. Reduce heat, add the eggs, and cook slowly into soft curds.


Side the eggs with a biscuit and sausage gravy. (gravy post  )


The Verdict:

It was just barely edible, he says with a big grin and I ate it all but decided a half biscuit would be plenty.

Denver Omelet Scramble

I could have have just made a Denver Omelet but since I'm doing a series on scrambled eggs, that's what I made - taste about the same just a different shape and fluffier eggs.

1 pat butter

1/8 cup (rounded) finely chopped sweet pepper

1/8 cup (rounded) finely chopped onion

S&P to taste

2 jumbo or 3 regular eggs, beaten

1/3 cup cubed cooked ham

1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

In a nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat.

Add green pepper, onion, ham and stir 2-3 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and ham is browning a little.

Beat the eggs with a little S&P

Lower heat, add eggs and cheese and cook into large soft curds.

The Verdict:

The scramble was delicious as expected and the ingredient amounts were just right - I rarely measure for a scramble.  The eggs were likely undercooked for many of you but like most things (eg. beef), I prefer under to overcooked (most veggies excepted).

After two years of almost daily use, I have to retire my egg pan (GreenPan) as it is no longer non-stick - I think it happened because I had to use a green nylon pad to get off some stuck-on egg white from poached eggs.  After the fact, I discovered that those pads can damage the pan surface and the dishwasher may have as well.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

4/7 - 8/24 event date

5 comments:

  1. Your scramble with asparagus straight from your garden had to be so yummy. When we lived in New Hampshire, I had wild asparagus growing in the apple orchard. I'd see it one day thinking I'd pick it the next, then it would be too big. It was amazing how fast it grew. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't had breakfast yet ... all of it looks amazing and now I'm suddenly starving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to remember you grow your own asparagus. That is awesome way to use them. Here in California it is/was asparagus season. I say was because a lot of farmers do not grow asparagus anymore. They cannot make any money because it is so cheaply grown in Mexico. I still love asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Larry, We do remember having your fresh asparagus and we love it. I'd love to have an asparagus, sharp cheddar and egg scramble...but sadly (: asparagus is a no no with my meds. FYI, Laurie's in a 'boot' after having the hardware removed from her ankle so I'm the cook and bottle washer...otherwise, with your ladies out of town, we would have had you over for a meal. Hope all is well. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why did I come here hungry? I know better. Both egg dishes look amazing and that biscuit with gravy has my stomach growling! Bummer about the pan. I have found that using a rubber spatula in a nonstick skillet instead of a regular spatula works best with cooking eggs. They seem to clean up all the leftover egg bits in the pan so much better.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments