Thursday, April 25, 2024

Asparagus Omelet And Manchego Scramble

By picking two patches, I have asparagus out the wazoo and this is what I get every other day without picking the little ones so I'm eating plenty of it in different dishes and this bunch went to the neighbor.

I took a break from my series on scrambled eggs and made an asparagus omelet using the small spears and a recipe from All Recipes simply named Asparagus Omelet that I modified for a single serving.


Asparagus Omelet

Ingredients:

1 tbsp. butter

1/8 cup chopped onion

1/8 cup chopped sweet pepper

1/3 cup cooked ham

1/2 tsp. garlic salt

2 jumbo eggs

1/3 cup small asparagus spears, chopped

1 slice Swiss cheese – see note

Note – I’m using the Ziller that I recently received from Guggisberg Cheese and it is described as being between Swiss and Baby Swiss in taste.

Directions:

Heat butter in a pan over medium heat; add onion and green pepper, asparagus, ham, garlic salt, and pepper. Cook and stir until onion is translucent and asparagus is crisp tender.  Remove to a dish and keep warm.


Beat eggs and milk together with a whisk or a fork in a bowl. Season with S&P.

Add the eggs to the pan, cover with a lid and cook until the eggs are about set.



Add the cheese to one half of the eggs and the fillings to the other half, recover and cook until the cheese melts.

Slide the omelet onto a plate, folding it with the pan edge as it goes.

The Verdict:

It was very good and these flavors work well together – I liked this cheese, but it definitely has more bite then Baby Swiss.  And, of course, the gravy biscuit was still outstanding.

Mushroom And Manchego Scramble

As can be seen above, I don’t eat these scrambled eggs dishes every morning but continuing with my breakfast scrambles and I’m using recipes from “The Taste Of Homes” 30 New Ways to Eat Scrambled Eggs.  The title of this recipe is Shiitake and Manchego Scramble and it is described this way – “This savory breakfast dish takes everyday scrambled eggs up a few notches. The rich flavor is so satisfying in the morning, and it's even better served with buttery toasted Italian bread.”  I used baby bella vs. shiitake mushrooms and the recipe is for eight servings so I amended it for a single serving as shown below but the original can be found by clicking on the link.

Mushroom and Manchego Scramble - Amended from Taste Of Home

Ingredients:

2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil

1/8 cup diced onion

1/8 cup diced sweet red pepper

1/2 cups thinly sliced fresh baby bella mushrooms

1/4 teaspoon prepared horseradish

2 jumbo eggs, beaten

1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

1/4 cup shredded Manchego cheese

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper

Directions:

1. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. 

2.Add onion and red pepper; cook and stir until crisp-tender, 2-3 minutes. 


3. Add mushrooms; cook and stir until tender, 3-4 minutes. 

4. Stir in horseradish; cook 2 minutes longer.


5. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients and remaining 1 tablespoon oil.  

6. Pour into skillet; cook and stir until eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains.


I sided it with a toasted English muffin as the sausage gravy now gone and I guess I’ll need to make more gravy down the road for the Bojangles biscuits I still have in the freezer.

The Verdict:

The scramble was very good and I would make it again but cook more liquid out of the vegetables as there was a little on my plate.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

4/16/24 event dates

4 comments:

  1. I'm a big fan of horseradish, never thought to put it in scrambled eggs, I'll have to try that. I made gnocchi with, cubed chicken thighs, asparagus, peas and parmesan last night. Another good idea to use some of that asparagus thats coming out of your wazoo. Cook cubed 1 pound cubed chicken in some oil seasoned with salt/pepper and italian seasoning, remove from skillet. Add cut up asparagus and cook a couple of minutes. Add 1 lb gnocchi and 1 can chicken broth. Add lid and cook 4 minutes. To finish: Add 1/2 cup half/half, 1/2 cup parmesan and peas. Return chicken and stir to combine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so envious that you can outside and pick asparagus (swoon). Hands down one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Larry, We love Manchego cheese! Omelets, or in our case scrambles, but simpler with less ingredients. We'll have to whip up another batch of that sausage gravy! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had the problem of trying to use up all the asparagus. Both breakfasts sound like they were very good. Karen

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments