The Eliza crowd came down again this past weekend and I wanted to fix something simple for supper and I wanted a one-dish meal. I knew I couldn’t go wrong with a baked Kevin dish and the recipe for Bacon Ranch Baked Cheddar Chicken from his “Closet Cooking” blog looked perfect for this meal. Since I was using more chicken than him, I scaled up his recipe to get the one below but his original can be found by clicking on the above link.
Bacon Ranch Baked Cheddar Chicken- Adapted from Closet Cooking
7 boneless skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste
12 ounces cream cheese, softened
1½ teaspoon dried parsley
1½ teaspoon dried dill
1½ teaspoon dried chives
¾ teaspoon onion powder
¾ teaspoon garlic powder
¾ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
¾ cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
6 strips bacon, cut into ½“ pieces
¾ cup tomatoes, diced
¼ cup green onion, sliced (I used chives)
1. Season the chicken with salt and pepper to taste and place in a baking dish. The seven pieces of chicken filled my dish bottom.
2. Mix the parsley, dill, chives, onion powder, garlic powder and cream cheese.
3. Spread the cream cheese over the top of the chicken and sprinkle on the cheese – see verdict below.
4. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until the chicken is cooked through, about 30-40 minutes or to an internal temp of 160F.
5. Meanwhile cook the bacon and set aside, dice the tomatoes and slice the green onions (if using).
6. Sprinkle the bacon, tomatoes and green onions (or chives) onto the chicken and enjoy!
We served it with some fresh half-runner beans and cucumber salad for a good and pretty healthy meal. The fresh local vegetables seem to be fading fast so we'll enjoy them while we can.
As expected from a Kevin recipe, it was very good. Even though I know better, I put the cheese on at the beginning and it was cooked too much so next time it will go on for the last 15 minutes or I’ll cook it covered.
Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.
09/3/22 meal date