Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Homemade Pizza & Swimming Critter Taste Test

I have a wife who makes great homemade bread.  I have a wife who loves pizza. I have a wife who makes great homemade pizza.  This day, she made a double bread dough recipe which she turned into three loaves of bread and one 16” pizza crust.  Her pizzas are generally topped with whatever we have on hand usually includes these veggies.

And for this one, we had some pepperoni, salami, and cooked breakfast sausage on hand so they joined the veggies along with some provolone and pepper jack cheeses to get this.

After baking, it looked like this and, as expected, it was delicious and way better than from most pizza joints.

I love having a wife who does this for us.

 

It’s no secret that we love to do taste tests around here to see what we really like best without past history affecting the decision.  This time we are tasting shrimp-like creatures and I say shrimp-like because I recently learned about prawns which I always thought was just Northwest speak for shrimp.  Turns out they are a different animal and not just the same animal from a different place.

So the test involved wild caught gulf shrimp, prawns as part of our Sitka Salmon Share, and Royal Red shrimp from the deep waters of the gulf of Mexico and while they are shrimp they are different in appearance and taste than normal shrimp.

In order to really taste the shrimp, I sauteed them all together in salted butter and can you believe I got so caught up in things, I forgot the pics, (here are some from the web) but the shrimp looked like shrimp,


the Royal Reds looked like more heavily armored red shrimp

and the prawns looked like small royal reds – I don’t know their normal size but ours were small.

The Verdict:

The prawns were the favorite due to their sweeter taste, the royal reds were second, and the shrimp were third but they were all very good so we will continue to buy all three.  And the really big news was that my normally fried-shrimp-only girls said they might want them sauteed from now on especially if I brown the butter.  This is great news because I like shrimp lots of ways other than fried and the key for them is to be sure I get them completely cooked.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry 

12/11 – 12/12/20 meal dates

4 comments:

  1. thats a gorgeous pie and I love shrimp on my pizza with garlic and cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, I'll still vote for those royal reds although like yourself, I like all three varieties. Browning the butter is interesting...would definitely add flavor. Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, you are one lucky man, Larry, to have a wife who bakes bread and makes pizza like that! The pizza looks fantastic!!! I've made it a couple of times many years ago and will have to try it again after seeing this. One of our sons loves prawns and orders them from somewhere down South. I too thought they were just another word for shrimp, they sound great sautéed in butter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pizza looks terrific! I've never had the royal reds before.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments