Thursday, September 28, 2017

Western RV Trip Day 16-17 – Bike rides, Hill City, Hot Springs

During these two days the bike riders rode the final two 20+ mile legs of the Mickelson Trail and here are a couple of trail shots.




Hill City, SD is a really nice tourist town, offering everything from saloons to a dinosaur museum and a railroad (runs to Keystone) and while the girls shopped and Steve toured the back country on his motorcycle, I visited the 1880 Railroad Museum (with model RR) then enjoyed sipping a couple of local beers at the Bumpin Buffalo Bar & Grill - I loved the wood piece behind the bar.






From downtown we went north a couple of miles to one of Beverly’s must stop places – The Prairie Berry Winery, where most of the wines have some sort of berry influence.  



I’m not a big fan of berry wines, but these are some of the best I’ve tried and while the ladies did wine tasting, I tried a Red Assarita and it was so good we bought several bottles of the wine to take home – can’t wait to try them with my margarita mix.

2 parts Prairie Berry Red Ass Rhubarb wine
1 part Margarita Mix (without tequila)
Fresh lime, cut into small wedges
Margarita salt (optional)
Ice

The next day we picked up the bikers at the trail finish line and on the way there we saw this bike sculpture or just a big pile of old bikes.



Then we headed for Hot Springs, where Steve wanted to take the cave tour at  Wind Cave National Park.




The rest of us took the tour of the Mammoth Site which was fascinating.  It is a real archaeological dig site uncovering animals (mostly mammoth’s) that fell into a sink hole, could not get out and drowned, and were eventually covered with silt that became rock.  They excavate around the bones and leave them in place as they are very fragile The whole skeleton is a recreation.








We finally made a stop at Black Hills Meat Co. to pick up some bison steaks and burger and some good looking beef steaks to take home.

It was a busy and fun final two days in the Black Hills.  If you’ve never been to the area, I consider it a must see and after three trips I believe we’ve finally hit most of the big highlights, although there was a few things in Rapid City I would like to have done, but who knows, we may pass that way again.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

9/19-9/20/17 Event Dates

6 comments:

  1. Love the caves and mammoth site sure looks like fun maybe someday we can make it that way and check things out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first picture is great, love it! And the train engine too, pretty cool! Sounds like your trip was great!
    We were talking about driving out that way next summer, Bill's way, I'd rather fly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would really like the Black Hills area

      Delete
  3. That sink hole thing is very interesting. Didn't know that existed. Looks like a great time, I'd love to go back someday. And by the way, I did score some Chimayo Chile Powder. And feel comfortable that it's the real deal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bar is beautiful! Looks like you're having a nice adventure. I hope it doesn't turn really cold on you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are right... I would love the Black Hills. That bar is incredible - what beautiful wood! I would LOVE to go to the Mammoth Caves and explore the Wind Cave National Park. What a fun adventure you guys are on!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments