Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Go West Old Man – Ouray, CO – 2012

This is the Part II of our day trip to Silverton and Ouray, CO in the mountains north of Durango.  New feature beginning yesterday - I'm going to try to reply to your comments within a day so if you get a chance stop back by.

We got to Silverton about 1:30pm and decided to look for the restaurants I'd researched the day before only to find a line out the door at all of them - others must have done the same research.  So we just drove around town and snapped a few shots with Bev's phone - I'd filled the card in my camera and the spares were strategically located in Tennessee.

We decided that since we were so close we would drive on up to Ouray and I just thought I’d been over a curvy mountain road getting to Silverton – the Million Dollar Highway was a death-grip-on-the-wheel road with the hundreds of feet drop-offs beginning at the white line at the edge of the pavement and very few guardrails – but the scenery was still spectacular.


Ouray (2010 population of 1000) appears much more prosperous than Silverton, likely due to its easier access from the north and the re-opening of a silver mine – only the main street in Silverton was paved.  Unlike Silverton's location in a large bowl, Ouray is located at the head of a narrow valley with mountins closely located on three sides.

Heading into Ouray, I commented that a little hole-in-the-wall burger joint would work for me and there it was Maggie's Kitchen - voted best burger in town.

We both had the green chile cheeseburger and they were delicious as were the homemade onion rings.

We saw some fabulous scenery and I was shocked at seeing a few class A motorhomes along the road – not in a million years for me – the Silverton/Ouray road was just barely big enough for our little Honda hybrid.




Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.
Larry
9/16/12 event date

20 comments:

  1. Those windy roads with the drop offs....Yikes. I would be stuck there waiting for someone to drive me home. I'm not a brave driver. How do you take in the scenery and drive at the same time.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you guinea-pigged that Million Dollar Highway. I think I'll visit Ouray from the north side. :) Great pictures, love the ones of the old buildings. And I'll take one of those cheeseburgers and a bucket of those onion rings please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been on the Million Dollar Highway... yea, scary as all hell, but absolutely breath taking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sam - On that road I missed most of the scenery unless I pulled over or slowed way down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LA - Good plan then you can drive further south a couple of miles and get as much of the million dollar highway as you'll want and can still see what it's like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn - I'd say this post brought back some memories for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, look at that cheeseburger. Oh, and the gorgeous scenery :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The scenery is gorgeous, Larry. That road sounds quite intimidating. I at first thought you drove it in the RV. That would truly have been heroic :-). It sounds like you and Bev are having a great trip. Keep us all posted. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. What glorious country! I visited Silverton many years ago...the city looks the same except for the cars parked out front! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam - The burger tasted even better than it looked - we stumbled into the right place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary - I doubt there is enough silver in those mountains to pay me to drive the RV over that road - even if I had it completely to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kathy - I was surprised it was so busy, but at least one train was there when we were and it was Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice camera phone shots. Good job keeping your spare camera card safely in Tennessee. That's a move worthy of me!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just beautiful country....so different from where you and I both live. Thank you for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Last time I was on the Million Dollar Highway I was pregnant with my daughter and it was spring, the snow was still melting on the pass and the waterfalls caused by snow melt was breathtaking. The drop offs were breathtaking, too :) One of these days I'm going to ride the Durango/Silverton train instead of just looking at it from the highway. Great shots!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Marjie - I bought the extras when this happened before so it would never happen again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Andrea - I'm surprised that trip didn't result in an instant delivery - I'd still like to do the train as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such an interesting and beautiful part of the country. The roads remind me of the ones we travel in Europe...my least favorite thing because I'm always sitting on the side of the car looking straight down.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy SH-- , Larry! You DID drive to Ouray on that Million Dollar Highway. Did you just feel your heart racing on that road? Oh my Lord, I was never so scared in my life as I was while Bill drove that road. But you're right the scenery is some of the finest in our country!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was picturing those extreme down hill skate boarders and luge guys trying to do that road. I wonder how it compares to "the Dragon" for # of curves, looks like it would be close.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments