Saturday, September 15, 2012

Go West Old Man – The Badlands, SD – 2012

Other than the Black Hills, the one thing we wanted to see while in the Rapid City, SD area was the Badlands, but we stopped off at the Millstone Restaurant again for breakfast. I had the chicken fried steak

and Bev had the biggest burrito I’d ever seen – must have started with an 15” tortilla.

I thought mine was very good but Bev thought she made a better breakfast burrito and I agreed – hers may be the best on the planet.

We drove from Rapid City down to the Wall, SD exit and entered the Badlands National Park there – first time I’d used my senior pass.  Here are a couple of comments from their web page.

“These striking geologic deposits contain one of the world’s richest fossil beds. Ancient mammals such as the rhino, horse, and saber-toothed cat once roamed here. The park’s 244,000 acres protect an expanse of mixed-grass prairie where bison, bighorn sheep, prairie dogs, and black-footed ferrets live today.”

“During the Age of Dinosaurs, a warm, shallow sea covered the Great Plains, including what is now Badlands. Since dinosaurs were land creatures, no fossils of these animals have been found in the park. Giant marine lizards called mosasaurs swam in the ancient sea, along with sea turtles and fish.”

Check the park brochure for more info, including the geology – it’s very interesting.

We were going to drive out the Sage Creek Rim Road, but it was the most serious washboard I've been on in a while.  Here are the shots we took – on one side of the road is the normal land and on the other is what’s left of what is now part of Louisiana.  It’s been eroding for 500,000 years and should be done in another 500,000.



These are some more shots of it.

 Nature is truely an incredible force.

All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them. 

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

9/8/12 event date

11 comments:

  1. Nature at it's finest. I can just imagine outlaws hiding out there. Guess I saw too many westerns as a child.

    It's fun to discover that you make better food at home than they do in some restaurants. We smile all the way to the car.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some pretty rugged country. And the history is fascinating. It's so hard to imagine a warm shallow sea covering our now prairie lands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David rode is motorcycle through the Badlands. Impressive. I'm sure Bev's burrito is better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have got to visit this area. Can you imagine crossing through in a wagon train....the pioneers were amazing folks.

    I had a chicken fried steak for the first time in years when we were in Oregon. Wow...it was delicious...it hung over the plate...way too much for me to eat. It sure was mighty fine, though.

    Enjoy the rest of your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, Nice photos of the badlands but more importantly, that breakfast of yours was a really a fine looking spread!! Travel Carefully and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, they call it the Badlands for a reason. Love the blog,

    Stay thirsty, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eating out just isn't the same these days as it was a few years ago. I used to look forward to breakfast out more than anything and now I avoid it. I'd much rather eat my own cooking! I'm sure Bev's burrito was much better. :) Have a blessed rest of the weekend, Larry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is hard for us good cooks to eat out anymore because 9 times out of 10 our food is better than theirs! I had a rotisserie chicken at a place last week. It was alright but mine was way better! lol

    Thanks for taking us on vacation with you! Your pictures are incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can certainly see why it is called the bad lands. I picture having to travel through that area with a horse and wagon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember those badlands so well having been through twice. What a great trip you are taking to see so many wonderful natural sites! Your Black Hills post was delightful too! I think that area is really pretty!

    More good eating was had here too!

    On to your next destination post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are some impressive views, Larry. I could look at that all day long. The idea of "water and wind did this" is so stunning.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments