Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What Is Going On?

I usually get up early, turn on the Weather Channel and see what's happening around the country, but Monday, Bev and I had to be somewhere at 6am and I was pretty much out of touch until mid afternoon.  After watching the evening news and seeing the devestation in Joplin, Missouri on the heals of Tuscaloosa, Alabama, on the heals of Greenback, Tn., and this Joplin report was followed by shots of another erupting volcano in Iceland, I can't help but wonder.

I'm a history, geography, weather buff and as I understand it, we humans have flourished during a thousands of years long period of calmness on the earth with climate that is condusive to us.  But with, what appears to be a higher level of volcanic and earthquake activity and the disasters these cause, the warming of the planet and the more serious weather and disasters this may be causing - flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes - I can't help but wonder if Mother Earth is slowly awakening from a nap.  I hope not.

My heart goes out to all those who are affected by these tragedies and I can't even imagine what it must be like for all you have to be blown or washed away.

Sorry for the downer and I hope to be back to normal tomorrow.

Larry

12 comments:

  1. Mother Nature seems to have a nasty streak this spring. I just got an email from a friend that they barely dodged a bullet from a tornado.

    From terrorists to terrorizing weather, we suddenly seem to live in a scary time. Saying "stay safe" to someone seems to have a much bigger meaning lately.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. The changes are scary to think about. We had more rainfall this March than any other March on record. My heart goes out to all the communities that have been devastated by Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking the same thing a few days ago. I don't think she is waking up and I think she is ticked off at us for how unkind we've been to her. It's truly sad... and scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How true. We live 15 miles from Joplin, Missouri and now have friends in the hospital in bad condition. They were in the midst of the tornado so it's a miricle they are even alive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the same thing Larry. Lynda, so sorry about your friends. What is going on with the weather? While in Alaska David planned on halibut fishing, but there may be a problem with radioactivity from the Japanese nuclear plant. Let's just all be thankful for not being in the wrong place one Mother nature hits us with another whammy. On a lighter note, I enjoyed your Maine sojourn. I found out that I hate lobster rolls when I was there. Too rich and soggy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When it was 13 degrees colder in April, according to my heat bill, I began stomping around the house bellowing for my global warming! I know it's not politically correct or popular to say, but geologic evidence, including ice cores and tree rings, tell me that the weather changes radically over long spans of time. Greenland used to be habitable, for pity's sake! Really, we don't even know if these storms are within the norm from, say, 100 or 150 years ago, because so few people were in the midwest to record the weather. Like you, my heart goes out to those affected.

    Now I'm going to drool over your lobster header for cheering up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the changing weather pattern is a mini cycle and not something larger.
    I stopped by your blog to say that Carol and I are enjoying the genuine maple syrup that you brought from your new england trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mother Nature is most certainly making us sit up and take notice. Watching footage of the Joplin disaster last night on the couch was heart wretching. I remember when I was in 7th or 8th grade and Topeka Kansas looking the same way. Very frightening.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Larry, with each disaster I keep thinking 'God is pi$$ed'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The weather reminds me of the el nino/la nina weather patterns that I used to follow in the 80's because it drove surfing conditions. Unfortunately, it always drove flooding and storms in the rest of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Larry, I agree with your sentiment of wondering what is going on with the weather. I'll let the scientists and environmentalists figure it out and cling to my Faith and pray for those who've been affected and for protection when this 'weather' passes thru our area. Last year a tornado wizzed by our farm and I woke up to that "train" sound, which is exactly like what others say it sounds like and one that you'll never forget once you hear it. Very scary and powerful!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments