Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Salads From The Garden

After the second breakfast I posted about on Saturday, I headed for the garden and Bev came down a little later to pick a few things. It’s been so warm, some of our lettuces are already starting to bolt and had to be picked, so we ended up with about a bushel of lettuce – we’ve emailed all of our friends to come get it.  You can tell it's bolting when it starts getting tall like this - it was supposed to be a nice buttercrunch head.

She also picked some kale, spinach, and green onions, advised me of the lunch she was fixing and headed for the house. As I’ve said many times, she’s the real chef in the family and whipped up this dish starting with sautéed kale, garlic, green onion, and grape tomatoes. She added a can of rinsed great northern beans and tossed with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It was delicious and helped offset the big breakfast.


Then for dinner she made a strawberry spinach salad that included our spinach, berries from the farm up the road, cucumber, and our green onion, Newman's Caesar Dressing and a choice of feta or bleu cheese crumbles all topped with some barely reheated and thinly sliced smoked tri tip and grated parmesan. It was also delicious and again helped out with the heavy breakfast.

Friend Joe ate with us and we began the meal with a margarita - I blended up a few strawberries and made Bev a frozen one.

A day of good eats I’d say and I just love growing our food.

All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

One year ago:  Mother's Day Supper At Almost Heaven South

Larry

10 comments:

  1. This weather is crazy Larry. Last week we had blackberry winter and it got down to 30. Today it will be 90. Poor lettuce, what's it's supposed to think.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Bev's Kale salad with beans. I've got frozen kale, wonder if that would work. Since I've last complained, we've warmed up in Denver, leaves have popped out on trees and we're having rain this morning as opposed to snow. But still no garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I get for bragging...rain just turned to snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you grow your food, too. It's very satisfying. Beautiful salads - thumbs up to Bev! (those margaritas look pretty tasty, too) The cooler climate here does keep us in lettuce a lot longer, but mine are tiny seedlings still.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was a kid my mom would send us out to the garden every afternoon and every evening to pick fresh veggies for lunch and/or dinner. I wish I had understood back than just how fortunate I was to have that at our disposal! The salads Bev whipped up look incredible! Light and very fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry, That salad really looks good! It helps when you have fresh, top notch ingredients! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing like going out to your own garden and picking ingredients for your table. That salad topped with tri-tip has my mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your salads. It might be warm enough for me to plant now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Larry, YUM---those drinks look so appetizing--after the hot day we have had....

    Thanks for sharing your delicious meal(s)...
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like both of them, especially since they both bring proteins.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments