Wednesday, May 18, 2011

New England Day 2 – Shopping In North Conway

One of the main goals of this trip was to spend time on the Maine coast looking at the sites and eating seafood so that was the plan for this day. However, after discovering the weather forecast to be cool and rainy for the Portland ME area, we decided to hang around the area so Bev could do some shopping. We headed down to North Conway for breakfast at Priscella’s Country Kitchen.

If you recall the Day 1 post, I had Lobster Pie for lunch and after reading the breakfast menu,

I was planning on Eggs Benedict until the waitress advised Lobster Benedict was the mornings special – no brainer. Sorry it’s a little blurry – forgot I was shooting without the flash.

It was outstanding and it had the best English muffin I’ve eaten, other than homemade – two days here and two lobster meals, life is good.

After breakfast, it was several hours of following Bev around the tourist town of  North Conway while she went into shops which did not interest me, until we got to Zeb’s.

When I walked in, it was like stepping back in time about 55 years.


As best I could tell, everything came from New England and most from New Hampshire - they even had 7oz bottled coke available on ice or from an old time Coke machine - these were a nickle when I was a kid, but a dollar here.  This was the soap room - a Bev favorite.

We always look at hot sauces and they had quite a few, but one in particular got Bev's interest and we bought it.  When paying ($7.50), we were told it was from a Mexican restaurant in Conway (around here, they use the same name for several towns by adding a direction or Central to it) and that they had good margarita's.  I took a few other shots around town and this is a typical church for the area.

While the flowers may be up, the snow shovel has yet to be stored for the summer.

This is one of the many covered bridges in the area.

After the hard day shopping, we decided to head down to Conway to the Mexican place. We had a couple carafes of different top shelf margaritas – Herradura and Petron tequila – and some chips and dip. They had the hot sauce we had just bought sitting on the bar so we had a sample and loved the flavor - it's a chipotle sauce.  After discovering they sold it for $4.50 ($3 less than the tourist store in the tourist town) we bought four more. 

But the hightlight of the visit was talking with the two young, single mothers who were going back to college in town and had stopped in for a drink after class. Turns out they were foodies and one liked BBQ, so guess what we talked a lot about - for me, meeting new folks is always better than seeing things & places. No pictures though as I left the camera in the car.

Then it was back to the condo to prepare for the next day’s trip to the coast.

All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

One year ago:  Crock Pot Roast

Larry

12 comments:

  1. I have never been to Maine, or much of the NE coast. I could spend hours on end at Zebs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why Larry, I didn't realize you had such a mean streak....showing a photo of that Lobster benedict is just flat out torturous for me. :-) Was the old Coke machine one of those where you accessed the bottles from the top, and they were swimming in ice cold water on metal rails? With the bottle opener on the front? Not only was the sugar ingredient better back then, but that cold water kept those bottles tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love New England! I am from Boston but don't miss the cold. We love vacationing in North Conway, such a nice town and the kids loved visiting Zeb's. We also liked eating at Peaches, where we had the best coffee cake ever. Glad you had such a nich trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lobster eggs benedict - you must be in heaven! I haven't been to Maine in years but vividly remember how beautiful it was, especially the coast line.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uhmmm..yea, can I come with you guys next time?? :) You had me with the lobster Benedict, but I stayed for the margaritas and hot sauce!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry, That Lobster Benedict looks great! That was a special breakfast...something we won't be eating here in East Tennessee for sure. You shop like I do...most stores just don't interest me, they have to be something special or different. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always wanted to visit Maine and after seeing this wonderful pictures I want it even more! Thank you for sharing your vacation with us. I know you are both having a marvelous time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been to a couple of cute little towns like that in Maine. Sadly, they only occur in the southern part of the state, close to the coast. No one would say Livermore Falls is picturesque.

    But the best part of any trip to Maine is all the lobster foods. And to think that lobster was considered "servant food" in colonial times!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't get over how good that lobster benedict looks - YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Covered bridges and Lobster and Eggs Benedect....it doesn't get any better than that Larry. Definitely worth the ride.

    As you said, life is good. I'd move to Maine just for the lobster if it wasn't for the cold & snow.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Larry, Leave it up to YOU to find more 'foodies' to talk to.... Ha Ha.... Love it!!!!

    The main reason we go to the beach every year is to get the REAL seafood.... YUM....
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, I love Patron Margaritas and Lobster Benedict . . . way to do it up right!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments