Saturday, May 14, 2011

Finally A Trip To New England

Sorry you haven’t had many comments from me lately, but Bev and I spent a week touring around New Hampshire and Maine while my blog posted items I had in the queue, and I’ve had very little time, but now it's time to tell you a little about our trip.

Other than New York City and a week in Vermont, neither Bev nor I had spent time in New England and I’d been talking about a trip for at least 5 years, so we finally made it. While mid-May is probably not the best time of year, it fit into our vacationing schedule, gardening, when we could trade our time share, etc. better than any other time.

We began our trip with a couple of days visiting with family in WV where their spring is about a month behind us with dogwoods and azaleas just now in blooming.

For some reason, I'd been craving soup beans (white), cornbread, and fried potatoes, which we had for dinner one evening along with some kale we'd brought from our garden.

This sure took care of a craving and after the shot, I put the kale on the beans.

After the couple of days WV, we set off for the long one-day trip to NH going thru Hagerstown, Md, Harrisburg & Scanton, PA, Albany, NY, and several little towns in Vermont and NH, and we arrived at our destination a mere 13½ hours later. I drove the whole way and surprisingly was not as worn out as I thought I might be and for the most part it was a beautiful drive thru country we’d never seen. After traveling these northern roads just after winter and giving my cars suspension system the test of its life, I’ll never again complain about the roads at home as these are in terrible shape – interstates, major highways, and secondary roads alike.

We would have liked to stay on the Maine coast, but the closest we could get with our time share trade was Attitash Ski resort, near North Conway, NH and since I wanted to spend some time touring New Hampshire and central Maine and it was only 1½ hours from the coast, we went with it - here's our condo and the ski slope across the road.

We didn't have any trouble sleeping our first night in the north woods.

All photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

One year ago:  Pulled Pork Enchilagsana Verde

Larry

9 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great trip Larry, except for the roads that really got a work-out this winter from all of the snow.

    Your condo looks so relaxing. I love Vermont and NH. And Maine of course for the lobster. I hope you took Bev antiquing. New England has the best shops. You can count on the fact that I would not be safe there with an empty van and a fist full of money.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob and I have been talking Maine for about 5 years now. Love that condo and I can imagine you slept mighty fine after 13 hours of poor roads. Bet the scenery made up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so jealous! We went to Maine and Vermont and all around that area on our honeymoon. It is my favorite part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In all my time living in Boston, I never went to Maine OR New Hampshire! Looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, 13 1/2 hours on the road!! That is a long haul...more than I would drive in one day, and I love road trips. New England is great from late Spring through early Fall...then forget it! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always wanted to go there when I lived in NY but never made the time.. made it to Boston thats it... I want to go to lobsterfest in Maine so bad! Thats one on my bucket list! glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear you finally made it to my neck of th woods! It was a little cool though wasn't it? Looks like your trip was off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I guess I should have read farther back to learn that you found these trains in Maine, before commenting that you'd have to come north to get to Steamtown! Maine is very pretty, but always cold. That's a better thing in July than May. Looks like you had a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, Larry! One of these days . . .

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments