Monday, December 13, 2010

Crock Beef Shanks – Part 2

I'm up early this morning and it's 18* with an inch or so of snow and very windy - major storm for East Tennessee with most of the schools closed. I was planning to BBQ today, but I think I'll wait another day hang close to the fire today.

When I posted about the beef shanks on Dec. 9, I mentioned I’d reserved half of the meat and broth/veggies for another dish. Back on Dec 5, Joanne over at Eats Well With Others posted a recipe for Italian Braised Beef with Root Vegetables and Yia Yia's Sunday Sauce, and this is what we used the leftovers to make.

Bev was the chef for the day, and to make this dish, she made a quarter recipe of Yia’s Yia’s sauce as written by Joanne, and added a little jarred marinara sauce. She strained the mirepiox veggies from the broth and added them, the beef, and then just enough broth to get the consistency she was looking for. We then ate it over some cous cous – just because we hadn’t had it in awhile.

The beef and tomato combo provided a unique flavor and I think had the sauce cooked with the meat all day it would have been even better. Thanks Joanne for a very nice meal.

Before I wrote this up, I just finished the leftover bowl of it for lunch. I’m sure glad I stumbled into food bloggers, so I could get all these delicious recipes to try.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day.

Larry

11 comments:

  1. Snow? Is that the white stuff that sometimes falls and covers the ground? It's been so long since we've seen any, I have to remind myself. Well at least you should be getting into the Christmas spirit. I feel more like throwing a luau. gripe..gripe..gripe..
    Speaking of white stuff, have you ever tried Israeli couscous?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that is just my type of dish - it looks so, so good.

    Please keep yourselves warm and cosy - I don't like the thought of your current temperatures. Mind you, now that it is officially Summer here the weather has packed up and is very changable. Fingers crossed that today's rain clears early on as Zebby Cat is off for his Xmas stay at his vets' cattery - we both hate this journey which starts with me carrying himself in his carry cage up 54 steps to the road.

    Sending care and huggles to yourself and your lovely chef, Michelle and Zebby Cat, xx and purrrrumbles

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to report that it's going to be almost 80 degrees here today :)
    This dish looks nice and warming though, so you'll be fine...but if you get sick of that cold, you and Bev are welcome to come visit anytime!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food blogs/bloggers are great, aren't they? I like that you two switch out cheffing - do you do the dishes when she cooks? Even by Montana standards it sounds like your weather is brutal. I'm good with snow and low temps, but when you add wind, it's miserable. Stay in. Make warm food. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, Comfort food! Looks good...but would have never thought of using over cous cous. Good idea! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is an awesome flavorful dish. Delicious! Joanne always has great recipe.

    Stay warm. It's damn cold.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  7. Highs in the 40s down this way today so no snow, but the wind is brutal! Sure wouldn't mind a plate full of that comfort right there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can imagine how great this was. Especially on a snowy day. Stay warm and have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. My son at UTK told me it was snowing as he left town. Coming from here, it didn't matter, and knowing Mo'town weather, it doesn't bother you, but I well remember the traffic snarls with even a dusting! Looks like it was a great day for a warm beef meal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We got more than an inch here but I didn't get the luxury of staying home like the kid, had to work.

    I'm with you, I've learned a ton from food bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum---looks good. We had 6-8 inches of snow up here and wind chills below zero this morning. AND--it's still snowing some... Needless to say, we didn't go anywhere today!

    Your crock dinner sounds delicious... We have some BBQ meatballs in the oven. They smell so good.
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments