Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Delicious Then Awesome, Unique Tomato Sandwiches

I really like eating fresh, local, summer garden vegetables and we plan many meals around them.  Bev, the pups, and I made a trip to Maryville (about 18 miles) for stops at the Coning Farm Market and another market in town to get a loaf of Tellico Grains Bakery Olive Bread.  As a result, my supper plan for the day changed to boiled corn and a unique tomato sandwich.

I really like olive bread and a tomato sandwich and tomato and cottage cheese so I decided to try them all together as an open-faced sandwich.  I started with a slice of bread and a smear on mayo (Dukes for us) followed by a bed of shredded lettuce.  Then it was the sliced home-grown Better Boy tomato (S&P) and the cottage cheese with S&P and finally a little shredded Gouda cheese on half – for a taste test.


It was delicious and would be so on about any bread.  I couldn’t tell the Gouda was there so I’ll omit it the future and I will definitely have this again when I want cottage cheese and tomato.  Maybe next time, I’ll add a little crumbled bacon which would make it a cottage cheese topped, open-faced BLT.

Our first fresh okra of the season resulted it one of Bev’s favorite meals – fried okra, sliced tomato, and fried corn (we’d eaten corn on the cob for lunch).  We eat plenty of corn when it’s in season and almost none otherwise but Bev does freeze okra and tomatoes.  It was a delicious meal.

Then it was the all-out open-faced BLT built as follows:

Slice of olive bread topped with mayo, shredded cheese, chopped bacon, and diced onion then heated in the toaster oven to make cheese toast.

Next was the shredded lettuce, sliced tomato, and cottage cheese.

While version 1 was delicious, this one was awesome.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

7/2- /24 meal date

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Those tomatoes look so flavorful. I love cottage cheese but have never thought to put it on a sandwich. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, that looks mighty good. I love fresh vegetables and fruits all year. Your sandwich is proof it only takes a few fresh ingredients to make it all work deliciously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for tomato season. Looks like you're making the best of it. We just had our first blt the other day ... tasted SO good.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments