Saturday, May 25, 2024

Prosciutto & Cheddar Scrambled Eggs & Latkes And Not Exactly Oklahoma Onion Burgers

Have you wondered why I'm including two dishes on most posts - even by doing this I already have posts lined up thru Jun 16.  I could post more often but like the three day interval.

I’m getting toward the end of my series on scrambled eggs (2 more) using recipes from the “The Taste Of Home’s” 30 New Ways To Eat Scrambled Eggs and now is a good time for this one as we have some country ham on hand.  Prosciutto is basically country ham (in Italian) that has been cured for a longer period (a year or so) than our normal country ham and it is normally sliced very thin.  For this meal, I used the recipe for Prosciutto & Cheddar Breakfast Biscuits from Taste Of Home, as the previous dishes have been but I omitted the biscuits.

Prosciutto & Cheddar Scrambled EggsAdapted from Taste Of Home

Ingredients:

6 large eggs

1 tablespoons half and half

¼ teaspoon salt

2 ounces small diced county ham

2 green onions, chopped (I used red onion)

1 tablespoon butter

½ cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:

In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk and salt.

Place a skillet over medium heat with the butter and add the prosciutto and onions; cook until ham begins to brown, stirring occasionally.


Reduce heat, add egg mixture, top with cheese, and push into soft curds to desired level of done for you.

After making potato cakes a few days ago, I decided to give latkes a try.  Rather than a little oil and butter in the pan for the potato cakes, for the latkes I added a ¼” of oil to a cast iron skillet, heating it to 375F and cooking the potatoes crispy.


The Verdict:

The scrambled eggs were very good but I obviously need more practice cooking in the iron skillet or cooking latkes or both as I got them too dark – but they were crispy and still very tasty – I want to make them with hashbrowns at some point.

Not Exactly Oklahoma Onion Burgers

I recently saw the recipe for Oklahoma Onion Burgers on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives and on Kevin’s “Closet Cooking” blog and decided I wanted to make a version of them.  Since we don’t like really a tall hamburger sandwich like this one and we prefer our cooked meat to be medium or less, I adapted the recipe a lot. 

Theirs.


Ours.

The two big differences are that I made one thicker patty vs. two thin ones and I partially caramelized the onions in a separate pan rather than totally under the meat patty as to not have to overcook the meat.

Not Exactly Oklahoma Onion BurgersAdapted from Closet Cooking

Ingredients:

18 ounces ground beef

salt and pepper to taste

½ very large onion, thinly sliced

3 slices cheese (American or cheddar)

3 buns

Directions:

Divide the beef into three 6 oz. portions and form into patties.

Thinly slice half of a very large onion and slowly partially caramelize in a non-stick skillet with oil.

Heat a heavy bottomed pan/skillet over medium-high heat and add the burger patties.

When the meat bottom is done, add some onions to the pan, flip the burger on top of the onions and add some sliced cheese.  These are for Bev and Pat.


Cook the burgers to medium (med rare for me), scoop them up with the onions and put on a prepared bun.  This is mine.




The Verdict:

As a big fan of caramelized onions and burgers with just mustard and dill pickles (I ate many of these in college), I thought this burger was great and will certainly eat it again but both Bev and Pat said they would rather have their normal cheese covered patty adorned with mayo, lettuce, tomato, and raw onion – fortunately, it’s easy to cook for both desires.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

4/30 & 5/1/24 meal dates


4 comments:

  1. Those are good photos of the burger. I think they're hard to photograph. It's A-1 steak burgers for us today, and we'll see if I can get a good shot. I always find it interesting that people put mayo on their burgers. I think it's good, but always stick with mustard and pickles. I'm loving these scrambled egg posts. So many good ideas. We used to have a popular Mexican restaurant that made sweet potato latkes that were spiced up with Mexican spices. Been wanting to try to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I especially love the burger since we're not big breakfast eaters here. The carmelized onions and swiss are perfect in my mind! Hold the pickle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Larry, Scrambled eggs with ham, roast beef, corned beef, pork, chicken and sharp cheddar cheese...all good! Nothing like a good burger, medium rare with a little mayo and pickles. Laurie likes the grilled onions on top. I am a bit of a burger freak in that mustard is off my list of condiments for burgers...although I use it (Dijon or a variation of it) with most other sandwiches. It sounds disgusting to many if not most people but I dip my burgers in spicy ketchup when eating them... Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love the burger with raw & cooked onions please--yum it really looks droolworthy! The scramble and latkes look tasty too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments