Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Delicious Loaded BBQ Pork Potato Casserole For RV Rally Arrival

We recently attended a rally for our RV travel club (even though we stayed in a motel) in Pensacola, FL and a pot luck supper was on tap for the arrival day meal.  Since we would be driving down in the car and arriving shortly before the meal, I planned our contribution to be something I could make at home and heat up after we got to the rally.  The dish I chose was Loaded BBQ Pork Potato Casserole from the “Mom On Time Out” blog and I followed the recipe as shown below.


Loaded BBQ Pork Potato Casserole

Ingredients:

Potatoes:

3 pounds red potatoes

8 ounces cream cheese softened

4 tablespoons butter softened

8 ounces bacon cooked and crumbled

8 ounces Colby Jack cheese

6 green onions thinly sliced

Pulled Pork:

6 to 8 cups pulled pork with BBQ sauce (I used 2lbs. Buddy’s BBQ  )

Topping:

4 ounces Colby Jack shredded, or any other cheese you prefer

3 green onions sliced, optional

Instructions:

1. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 baking dish or pan with cooking spray and set aside.

2. Preheat oven to 350°F.

3. In a large pot, add water and salt generously. Add potatoes and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender. Remove potatoes from water and drain. 

4. Return to the pot. Roughly mash the potatoes with a potato masher.

5. Add the cream cheese, butter, bacon, green onions and shredded cheese. Mash together with the potatoes. 

6. Transfer the loaded mashed potatoes into the prepared casserole dish.

7. Top with pulled pork and remaining shredded cheese.




Cover and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 5 minutes or until cheese has fully melted and casserole is heated through.

I made it the day before our trip and after letting it come to room temperature when we got there, I baked it at 225F for 90 minutes to warm it up.

Lets eat.

The Verdict:

It was delicious and a big hit with our club members as I got several positive comments.  The recipe called for 6-8 cups of pork but I bought it by the pound and forgot to see how many cups I had, but I suspect it was more than called for.  I think it would have been even better with my pork BBQ as Buddy’s is much dryer – I add the defatted juices back to my meat.  This is the first time I ever mashed potatoes with no liquid and they were pretty stiff but they were spreadable and worked well in the dish.  I will be making it again.

Here we are sitting around Bill’s (the gadget guy) high tech fire pit with color changing lights and music.


The  Loaded BBQ Pork Potato Casserole leftovers were also very good for breakfast when we got home.


Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

5/5/24 meal date

4 comments:

  1. What a tasty casserole and I was hoping to see the leftovers with a yolky egg! Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Larry, Looks good! I'll bet it was a good filling/rib sticking casserole. With my food perversions/'weirdnesses', I'd try trading the green onions for jalapenos or tomatillo chili. (perhaps a salsa verde sauce?) I'd have been very disappointed and surprised if you hadn't turned some of your casserole into a "Big Dude" breakfast special"! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, this is definitely a crowd pleaser! I hope the RV rally was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That pulled pork dish looks and sound fantastic. I am not sure about the high tech fire pit. Call me old fashioned but I like live fire.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments