Sunday, May 19, 2024

Outstanding Salsa & Avocado Scrambled Egg Sandwiches And Toby Keith

This post was supposed to come out around Apr 25 but somehow, I totally forgot it - perhaps I was excited because Bev had just gotten home from St. Maarten. 

I was going to take a short break from scrambles until I had a dozen eggs in a supermarket plastic bag that fell out of the car when I opened the door.  I ended up with four undamaged, two slightly cracked, and six broken, so just enough for two scrambles and I picked recipes that included my avocados that needed to be eaten.  The scrambles are still coming from “The Taste Of Home’s” 30 New Ways To Eat Scrambled Eggs.  The first recipe is Salsa & Scrambled Egg Sandwiches  and I adjusted it down for two servings and I added no salsa to the eggs fearing it would make them watery.

Salsa and Avocado Scramble

Ingredients:

6 normal eggs* (or 4 large)

S&P to taste

½ cup salsa, divided (I used Pace Picante that we had on hand)

¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese

2 English muffins

1/8 cup creamed cheese

½ medium ripe avocado, peeled and cubed

¼ lime

*- We get our normal eggs from a person who has chickens and they are a variety of sizes which is why I just call them regular eggs in my recipes.

Directions:

I’ve always believed that whipping the eggs hard gets some air into them and it makes them fluffier when scrambled so for the six broken eggs, I added a tbsp. of half and half (makes them creamier) and mixed them with an immersion blender.

Add eggs to a bowl with S&P, and stir in cheese.

Nuke the salsa to warm it a little.

Toast the English muffins and when nearly done add some cream cheese to soften.

Pour egg mixture into a non-stick skillet with a pat of butter over medium low heat.

Push eggs into large curds and cook until they are done to your liking – very moist for me.

Spread cut sides of English muffins with the cream cheese and half of the salsa.

Top with scrambled eggs, more salsa, and avocado.

Squeeze lime juice over tops.

If desired, serve with sour cream.

The Verdict:

Bev just ate hers as a scramble with no bread but we both believed it was one of the better egg dishes we’ve eaten and up there with the mini tomato pies we’ve made in the past.  This is the best of my scrambles so far and, as expected, from using the blender, they were fluffy and tender.

Toby Keith

After 50+ years in Tennessee, I’ve become a country music fan but never really followed singer/songwriter Toby Keith during his career, then he died of cancer recently and his music was often played and I realized that he wrote and sung some of my favorite songs.  You may not be a fan of country music but I cannot imagine you would not enjoy the lyrics of “As Good As I Once Was.”  Have a listen and if you are a boy, I’m confident you will smile as I always do.  Unfortunately, at my age I’m no longer even as good once as I ever was but I still love the song.  “How Do You Like Me Now” and “I Should Have Been A Cowboy” were also major hits.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

4/21/24 meal date

6 comments:

  1. I eat avocado toast just about every other day and love it this is a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This may be my favorite scrambled egg recipe so far. I'll have to give this a try and soon. Not a country western music can, but will listen to the song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I met George is when I started liking country music. Toby Keith was one of our favorites. One song I like is "How Do You Like me Now?" We also love Brad Paisley and Billy Currington..... There is always a story in their songs. (I don't care for the country music today.). Have a great day!
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this post…thank you Larry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Larry, Once again you have proved that you are the Supreme Master of Breakfast Creations! That Toby Keith song reminded me of another country hit from an earlier time..."Middle Age Crazy" by Jerry Lee Lewis...which I believe includes a line similar to "as good as I once was". Of course Jerry Lee Lewis was a bit controversial whereas Toby Keith was just a good guy. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm liking that combination and I just happen to have all of the ingredients on hand! Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments