Friday, May 10, 2024

Potato Skins For Friday Cards

I have always enjoyed potato skins and would have thought I'd made them before but if so, I can’t remember it and there is no post on my blog, so this may well be my maiden voyage.  I’ve been wanting to make them for a while so rather than cook a meal for our Friday card night, I asked everyone to bring an appetizer and I made potato skins using the recipe for Baked Potato Skins from the “Small Town Woman” blog.  I increased the amounts by 50% to get the recipe below but you can see the original plus pics by clicking on the link.


Baked Potato Skins - Adapted from Small Town Woman

Ingredients:

8 small to medium Russet Potatoes

2 tablespoons canola oil

sea salt

4½ tablespoons butter

3/8 teaspoon garlic powder

3/8 teaspoon onion powder

1½ cup shredded cheddar (I just used cheddar)

3/4 cup finely shredded Monterey Jack

6 slices bacon crispy cooked and chopped

1½ green onion finely sliced

sour cream, optional

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Scrub, dry and poke the potatoes 8-10 times using the tines of a fork. 

Using your hands rub the potatoes with a little canola oil or olive oil and sprinkle generously with salt. Place them on a baking sheet. Bake potatoes for 50-60 minutes or until they are cooked through.  Let them sit until cool enough to handle.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. 

Cut potatoes in half lengthwise.  Using a spoon scoop out the flesh out leaving 1/4 to 1/2 inch around the inside of the skin.


Melt butter in microwave. Whisk in garlic powder and onion powder.  

Brush over the tops and bottoms of the potato skins.  


Using the same baking sheet that you cooked the potatoes on place in oven for 10 minutes.  Flip and bake for another 10 minutes.

Top evenly with cheese and bacon.  Return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Top with green onions and sour cream (optional). (I was late on the finished pic).

My plate.

For our evenings food, we also had deviled eggs, chicken salad finger sandwiches, humus & blue corn chips, spinach artichoke dip in a bread bowl, and dessert.

The Verdict:

Everyone bringing an item worked out very well and I’ll do that again in the future.  They potato skins were very good but they weren’t as crispy as I remember getting it a restaurant and I could have added a little more cheese.  I really need to survey our oven temperature.

As a bonus, I had this bowl of potato flesh to turn into potato pancakes.

I saved two of the larger potato skins for breakfast and it was delicious.  I can't hardly take a good pic anymore without a tripod.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

4/25/24 meal date

4 comments:

  1. Hi Larry, Nothing goes to waste at either your home or ours! Almost anything leftover can be turned into breakfast! We both love potato skins but we've never made them at home. I haven't had quality potato pancakes since we left Chicago. There was a polish restaurant that made the best. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like cards at your house makes everyone feel like a winner. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tripods are a pain in the ass. I know I should, but I don't use one. With that said, those potato skins look so good. I've never made them. And I love those dips in bread bowl recipe. Always a great presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why did I come here on an empty stomach?! Love the potato skins with a yolky egg on top--YUM!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments