Friday, June 30, 2023

Delicious Taco Sloppy Joes Ala Kevin

When I saw this recipe for Taco Sloppy Joes on Kevin’s “Closet Cooking” blog, I knew I wanted to try it and thought it would be perfect for our Friday card group.  Since Kevin’s recipe is only for four servings, I doubled it to get the recipe below but you can click on the above link for the original and his good pics like the second one here - how could you look at the pic and not want to make this.


Taco Sloppy JoesAdapted from Closet Cooking 

Ingredients:

2 pound ground beef

1 large onion, diced

6 cloves garlic, chopped (1½ tsp dried)

4 tablespoons taco seasoning

2 tablespoon cornstarch

2 cup beef broth (or water)

2 cup canned diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)

2 tablespoon soy sauce (optional)

2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)

2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

8 buns, optionally toasted

1 cup guacamole

1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

1 cup pico de gallo

Diced sweet onion

Diced paste tomatoes 

Directions:

1. Cook the ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking the beef apart as it cooks, until cooked through, about 10 minutes, before draining off an excess grease.

2. Add the garlic and taco seasoning, mix and cook until fragrant, about a minute.

3. Add the cornstarch mixed into the broth, the tomatoes, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and apple cider vinegar, bring to a boil, and simmer until the sauce thickens, about 5-8 minutes.

4. Divide the taco sloppy joes between the buns along with the guacamole, cheese, and pico de gallo and enjoy!

5. Top with your favorite taco toppings such as: shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, salsa, pico de gallo, avocado, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, etc. 

We served the sandwiches with tortilla chips and this is my plate – I had my sandwich open-faced as it’s much easier to eat with a fork.

The Verdict:

It was very good and the six if us ate all but a cup of the meat.  The main differences from normal sloppy joes were the seasonings and lack of any sweetness, which I prefer.  I will make them again. 

Flying

I've been watching the news report on the recent SNAFU with flying and I can't understand why people keep doing it.  Since there is no where I want to go to risk what these folks are dealing with, I won't even consider flying until there is a very high probability my bags and I will get where we are going without issue - so maybe never.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

6/23/23 meal dates

6 comments:

  1. Wow now that is decked out to the Nines for sure awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, We haven't had sloppy joes in years but we're used to the simpler version. As for flying, we probably won't fly again as we prefer road trips anyway. I'm using my accumulated air miles to cover hotel costs...recently saving about $1,200 on our last trip. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way too much for me. Just give me a bun and the meat. I no longer cook. If it has more than four ingredients, I'm not going to make it. But it sure is fun to read your recipes and see the pictures. I've always loved reading recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a good sloppy joe ... I'll have to try this recipe. And I'm impressed with how many sliced jalapenos are on your sandwich. RE; flying. And I'm so tired of the news stations showing disgruntled passengers complaining ad nauseam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed sloppy joe's! This looks like a great recipe.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. What a terrific idea. My husband doesn't love sweet sloppy joe's, so this would be the perfect alternative. YUM!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments