Thursday, March 30, 2023

Simple Chicken Quesadillas & Country Ham Broth

Bev came home from Sam’s Club the other day with a good sized rotisserie chicken (much larger and still cheaper than Food City) and we decided to turn the pulled meat into simple quesadillas with just a few ingredients.


Chicken Quesadillas

Ingredients:

8 6” flour tortillas

2 cup measuring cup full of diced rotisserie chicken, warmed

S&P to taste

1 can mild Rotel, drained and warmed

½ cup diced onion

Sliced or shredded cheddar

Salsa, optional

Sliced jalapeno, optional

Sour cream, optional

Directions:

I prefer to use 12” tortillas cooked open faced with the cheese on one half and the other fillings on the other half then folded over when done.  However, we only had the 6” tortillas on hand so we stacked everything on one, topped with a second one and flipped them to cook.

1. Lay a tortilla on a flat surface and add a layer of warmed chicken followed by the diced onion.

2. Add the Rotel, jalapeno slices (if using) and cheese.

3. Top with a second tortilla and cook chicken side down on a buttered griddle or skillet.

4. When side one is golden and crispy, flip and cook second side. (Note)

5. Serve topped with salsa and sour cream if desired.

Note.  I usually cook quesadillas on a dry surface but many recipes call for a buttered surface so I cooked side one with butter, but added none when I flipped them to see if there was a difference (we love taste tests you know).

The Verdict:

For such a simple, easy meal, it was very good and I definitely like the crispiness that is added by the butter and will use it from now on.

Country Ham Broth

We’ve made this before but I wanted to document it on here.  We stopped by Benton’s Country Ham the other day and picked up 10 cut-in-half ham bones (they debone the hams prior to slicing).  I added them to our 16 qt. pot and filled it to within 3” of the top and simmered from 2pm until 8am the next morning.  I refilled the pot to its original level, removed the bones and set the broth outside in the cold to harden the fat.

The next morning, I removed the fat, warmed the broth a little to re-liquify it and strained it.  Finally we filled seven quart bags with the rich broth and froze them awaiting our next pot of beans.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

03/20/23 meal date

4 comments:

  1. Wow now this is one my husband will love and they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how many years I've said I'm going to stop by our Honey Baked Ham store (which is nearby) and pick up ham bones. Maybe I just don't crave ham and beans enough? Not to mention broth like you've done. Love your idea of rotel for the quesadilla.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Larry, Quesadillas...Laurie's go to menu item anywhere they are offered! We've never tried making them at home...why I don't know as I could add or subtract ingredients to match my likes and dislikes. Everything is better with butter. When I grill Klement's Hot Dogs on the stove, I use lots of butter and a weighted cover...for great results. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made country ham broth before and I'm thinking it's time I try. Those quesadillas are loaded and look fantastic! I'll try cooking them with butter next time. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments