Friday, June 25, 2021

Upside Down Broiled Seafood Platter

When I traveled to Pittsburgh, PA on business during my working days, one of my favorite restaurants was Poli’s, located a few miles east of center city in Squirrel Hill.  The restaurant opened in 1921 and closed in 2005 and when I ate there, it was always the broiled seafood platter.  It was the best I ever ate and I’ve often fantasized about being able to recreate it at home.

For this meal, I began with recipes from All Recipes and Mr. Food to get the basics – the originals can be found by clicking on the links.  I was going for something like this.

After thinking about it a little while, I realized I could not make this dish with only a toaster oven broiler so I considered baking it but when I mentioned that to Bev, she advised it would not be the same.  So, I thought a little more and realized I could cook them on a sheet pan on the grill, flip them half way thru and they should be similar to broiled.  Plus, I could build the plated dishes from the grill so the fish would stay hot – I did the crab cakes in the broiler. 

The Ingredients:  For six meals

6-8 crappie fillets 

6 crab cakes (details coming)

12 scallops

18 peeled and deveined royal red shrimp, tail still attached 

2 sticks butter, melted

2½ t. garlic powder

4 T. fresh lemon juice

2 t. Old Bay

½ t. paprika

2 t. salt  (I prefer adding it directly to the fish)

1 t. black pepper

The Directions:

1. Preheat the grill with all burners on low.

2. In a medium bowl, combine the butter, garlic, lemon juice, paprika, and Old Bay - mix well.

3. Make up the crab cakes and form into mounds, drizzle with butter mixture, and broil for 12-14 minutes on medium while fish is cooking.

4. Dry all of the seafood and season with S&P to taste.  Skewer the shrimp for easier turning.

5. Line two jelly roll pans with foil and brush one side of the seafood with the butter mixture and put that side down on the foil, add S&P, then brush the top side.  

6. Put on the grill and close the lid.

7. After cooking for six minutes, flip the seafood and brush the top side with butter mixture, then close the grill lid.

8. Cook until everything is done - about 5 more minutes.

We served the seafood with a side salad and Tennessee Onions (details coming).  I needed some lemon wedges and greenery to make it look better.

For this fancy meal, Bev decided to dress up the table.

The Verdict:

While not as good as I remember Poli’s being, it was still plenty good with the crab cakes getting lots of praise.  As good as it was, Pat and Bev still prefer their seafood to be fried – us Southerners you know.  We thought the onion dish was outstanding and it will be made again.

Tune in next time for the details on the crab cakes and the onions.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

6/24/21 event date

5 comments:

  1. It's so much fun to try and recreate meals from restaurants. It looks delicious Larry. And I do look forward to those Tennessee Onions. I've got two big bags of Vidalias that I'm currently hoarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry, Love your inventiveness! Always good at finding a 'work-around'. Great looking plate of goodness for dinner. So healthy too! Keep up the good work! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your broiled seafood dinner looks like a meal fit for a king.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments