We had not had stir-fry in a long time and with broccoli needing to be cooked, chicken in the freezer and another around-the-world dish opportunity, I went in search of a recipe. I found Trish’s EasyChicken Stir Fry recipe at her Mom on Timeout site. I adapted it a little for the ingredients we had on hand but you can click on the link for the original and more pics like this one.
tsp crushed red pepper flakes
Chicken Stir Fry Recipe - Adapted from Mom On Timeout
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken tenders cut into 1 inch cubes
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp peanut oil divided
2 cups broccoli florets
1 green bell pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup sliced carrots
2 tsp minced ginger, (I used ¼ tsp ground)
2 garlic cloves minced
Stir Fry Sauce
1 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp cold water
1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
3 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1. In a medium size bowl, whisk together corn starch and water. Add remaining sauce ingredients and whisk to combine. Set aside.
2. Add one tablespoon of oil to a large skillet or wok and heat over medium high heat.
3. Add chicken (in batches if necessary) and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from skillet.
4. Reduce heat to medium and add remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet.
5. Add carrots for a couple of minutes then broccoli & bell pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, just until crisp tender. Add ginger and garlic and cook for an additional minute.
6. Add chicken back into the skillet and stir to combine.
7. Whisk stir fry sauce and pour over chicken and vegetables and stir gently to combine.
9. Serve with rice.
Bev and Cindy thought it was delicious and Pat and I thought it was very good but it needed a little something – I believe it needed the fresh ginger that I didn't have and I should have added some of the red peppers flakes. I would make it again but it did not become my go-to recipe. Note in Trish's pic above how much prettier it is with the red and yellow peppers, but I had none and didn't want to risk a store trip.
Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.
4/7/20 event date