Thursday, April 23, 2020

Birthday Meals For My Honey

For breakfast in the past year, we've had a ham, mushroom and asparagus frittata and a ham and asparagus strata but for this meal I wanted to keep the cooking simple so I made a scramble to use some asparagus stem pieces that I had left over.  I was planning to just add this meal to a later post of several meals but it was so good, I thought I’d better document it with a separate post.


Asparagus stem pieces you might ask - many people bend their asparagus until it snaps knowing the flesh above the break will be tender but I discovered that some of the flesh just below the break is often still tender enough to eat so that is what I used here.

Ingredients:
About a half cup of asparagus pieces, ½” long
1 slice of ham, ¼” dice (Same ham as Easter
¼” slice of onion, small chop
1 crisp fried piece of Benton’s bacon, crumbled
Small handful of cheddar cheese
4 jumbo eggs, beaten
S&P to taste


I cooked the asparagus and onion in butter over medium heat until softened a little, then added the ham and cooked a couple of minutes to get warm – tossing a few times.


Then I added the bacon, tossed a few times and added the cheese to begin to melt.


Finally, I lowered the heat and added the beaten eggs.


I scramble eggs by pushing the edges toward the middle and allowing the raw eggs to run onto the pan surface.  This creates large soft curds.  At the end I give them a flip to almost finish cooking the tops – allowing them to finish cooking on the plate.  As below on Bev's plate, we like ours soft and moist like Grandma taught to make and we would rather have them a little runny than dry.




The omelet, which was Bev's birthday breakfast, was as good as I ever had and the asparagus pieces worked beautifully.  She was well pleased with this start to her birthday and looking forward to the following supper.

For her birthday supper, she wanted Mexican from the local Celito Lindo Mexican Restaurant and since take-out was the only option, we ordered up a bunch and made the 15 minute drive to pick it up. 


We had a variety of meals with Bev ordering her favorite El Espcial de la Casa (for two) containing a tostada, a burrito, a chile relleno, a tamale, an enchilada, two tacos, rice and beans for $10.99 and we’ll both eat on it for a few days.  Since the food just came in aluminum pie pans, I didn't take any pics but it was very good as usual.

While Celito Lindo provided the food, I provided the drinks in the form of a pitcher of delicious margaritas.  The BD girl relaxing after her Tex-Mex supper.


It was a nice relaxing day for Bev as she slept in, puttered around the yard, got several BD wishes, and ate well.  Before bed, she advised that she had a great birthday which I was happy to be a part of.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them and the blue words are links.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

4/20/20 event date







7 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Bev! It looks like she had a great birthday with tasty food & drinks.

    Asparagus and eggs are so good together--your scramble looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very sweet happy birthday and many more safe ones !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, happy birthday to your lovely bride, and I'm glad to see you staying well. Your eggs look perfect to me; I like them soft, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know that works too! I learn so much from you as well! Keep it up great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are the egg man Larry! What a wonderful birthday scramble. Happy birthday Bev!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Larry, Sounds like you treated the Birthday girl very well indeed. Know she loves Cielito Lindo! In my house I always eat the asparagus stems from our store bought product. It can be a little tougher but with butter and a bit of pepper, it still tastes good. Love our eggs the same way...soft and even a little runny is much better than the alternative. Nice photo of Bev! Stay Safe and Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments