Friday, August 12, 2016

2016 Western Trip – Days 17 & 18 – Italian Beef & Randy's

Friday was only 70F and light rain in Grand Junction and I loved it compared to the mid-90’s when we got here.  The choices for this day were a wine tasting trip or shopping for the ladies and since my foot was bothering me, we opted for the shopping trip.  We had brought a big sirloin roast with us from home and while the ladies were shopping, I turned it into Italian beef in the crockpot.  I used the same recipe as previously but just used the herbs and spices we had on board.  I cooked it for about six hours on high, sliced it up and cooked for another hour and a half – I adjusted the seasonings for the final part.

We sauteed some peppers and onions, and toasted the buns with a slice of cheese on each half.  This is my sandwich and it was delicious as well as very easy.


On Saturday, we went just down the road to Randy’s Southside Diner for breakfast and it must be the place to go as we had to wait for a table (and it was full the entire time we were there).  Randy’s was started by a local couple and they now have three locations in the GJ area.  Here are a couple of shots from the web.




Bev had her standard breakfast burrito with green chili and we took two shots so you can see the size of it beside the sugar container.



She thought it was very good and the chili had a nice heat to it – no Tabasco needed here David.  Pat had bacon and eggs with a side of hash browns.


Hers was pretty basic except the potatoes could have cooked a little more.  I had the corned beef hash with over easy eggs and sour dough toast.


They made the hash by simply combining the meat and potatoes on the flattop and it was very good but not the normal corned beef hash.  We all enjoyed our meals so don’t be surprised if another post from Randy's shows up.  Later in the day we went wine tasting which is the next post.

Photos can be enlarged by clicking on them.

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Almost Heaven South.

Larry

8/5 – 8/6/16 event dates

8 comments:

  1. All that delicious looking food is making me hungry so early in the day, yum..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonder if I could get Jim to whip me up some bacon, eggs, has browns, and toast. Probably not. But I'll at least have the toast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder if I could get Jim to whip me up some bacon, eggs, has browns, and toast. Probably not. But I'll at least have the toast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bet that pot roast was YUMMY.... I'm sure the ladies enjoyed that dinner after a day shopping... I'm not a shopper myself (except when I have to) but I know that many women love it... I'm just an odd-ball who would rather be outside walking or hiking.

    What is wrong with your foot? I was so hoping you could get out and do more hiking since your knee surgeries.... So sorry.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Larry, The ladies have it made... You stay home and cook dinner while they shop. What a deal! I'd probably still add some heat to that burrito unless it has enough going for it to make my head sweat! Looks good though... I'd probably pick your breakfast though...lots of corned beef. Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd have eaten Pat's breakfast or yours with gusto. Your beef sandwiches look great; that's a fine meal for hot weather in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Randy's looks like a great place. Love those types of breakfast joints. And exactly what is "normal" corned beef hash?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had an Italian beef sandwich, it looks AMAZING! I am loving Bev's breakfast burrito - it looks AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate and enjoy your comments